Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

New Member Here

Started by Keith7940236, January 13, 2014, 10:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith7940236

Hi,
I just found this site and am very glad that it exists.  I have been using a ZT "The Club" for some time and really like it.  It produces a very nice, clean jazz tone.
I recently came across a Yamaha G100 115 that I am considering purchasing.  I haven't had a chance to see it or play it yet, but I've heard that they have a really good reputation as a "Jazz" amp.
I was wondering if any members could offer any advice or suggestions for when I get a chance to check it out.

Thanks,
Keith

Enzo

You like the tone or you don't.  You like the features or you don't.  I can;t help you decide if it is for you or not.   But check it out like any other amp.  Play through all inputs, exercise all controls.  Do reverb and trem (if present) function?  If reverb is there, wiggle the amp some, just to see if the reverb is OVERLY sensitive to movement.

Check operation of footswitch jacks.  Even if it isn't coming with a footswitch, we want to know one would work.

Noisy ones usually clean up OK, but make sure the controls do not make scratchy noises from the speaker when turned.

And this one is important, seriously, but you need to do it in a professional manner, not like it is a joke.   With the amp running, ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp.  The amp should NOT react.  If the amp reacts to a swat, that means a loose connection inside somewhere.

Look in the back.  There is a heat sink/module thingie hanging down from the chassis.  Grasp it and give it a wiggle while the amp is running.  We want NOT to hear any crackles and pops.  Just another loose connection test.

As you play, tone matters, but also listen closely for any cabinet buzz or rattle, and the speaker itself also for unwanted sounds like a rubbing voice coil.

Are handles and other hardware tight?

Keith7940236

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

joecool85

Of note, the "whack the top of the amp" thing needs to be done with the reverb turned all the way down/off!  Otherwise it will make a bunch of noises.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com