Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

DanElectro Nifty Fifty pots

Started by WickedSharp, October 25, 2018, 07:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WickedSharp

Hi,
First post!
Looking for help sourcing replacement pots for my sons Nifty Fifty amp

I know the values, but I don't know what size, style they are.
After researching some, do you think I'm looking for "16mm", 1/4 inch post, pc terminal?

**EDIT**
It looks like they're 12mm

phatt

You may not be able to source the exact part but it's a fair bet that some of the 16mm Alpha pots might fit, though you might have to cut the shaft to fit and maybe source a new knob.
Try here;
https://au.element14.com/c/passive-components/potentiometers-trimmers-accessories/rotary-potentiometers
Phil.

Jazz P Bass

Are the controls broken or simply 'scratchy'?

Dexoit works wonders for cleaning up potentiometers.

WickedSharp

I ordered the Alphas.
At least two of the originals were broken.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks

WickedSharp

Well RATS!
The Alpha 16mm pots are too big, but not by much (leads need to be 3.5mm or 4mm apart, not 5mm)

Argh

phatt

Well if you have room you might be able to spin the pots 180' and run short wires down to the PCB.
Or maybe widen the holes in the PCB with a small drill bit.
Things like this often require one to think outside the norms. 8|
Phil.

blackcorvo

That looks like a 9mm potentiometer to me. Check the measurements in milimeters and see if they match.
Fun fact, if you ever need to use those in a perfboard or protoboard, you can mount them diagonally. The clearance for the holes in that orientation is perfect for them.

WickedSharp

Quote from: blackcorvo on October 30, 2018, 03:49:39 PM
That looks like a 9mm potentiometer to me. Check the measurements in milimeters and see if they match.
Fun fact, if you ever need to use those in a perfboard or protoboard, you can mount them diagonally. The clearance for the holes in that orientation is perfect for them.

From where to where do I measure?

I ordered a 12mm B100k that looked promising. I couldn't find a 12mm A10K though.