Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:18:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

TDA2005 amp

Started by syndromet, March 16, 2007, 03:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

http://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/view/36929/2/tda2005+layout

A little down on this page you'll find schematic and layout for a TDA2005 amp.
Look on the middle of the page for where it says :

"Een warme avond verder:
Schema in pdf
Layout in pdf
Componentenopstelling in pdf
Componentenlijstje
Schema/layout voor Ulticap/Ultiboard in zip"

casiomax

quick question, does TDA2003 or TDA2005 need a regulated powersupply?

teemuk

No.

You can use one but it makes no point since the regulators introduce a certain current limit that will also limit the power you can get from the amp. You can extend the current limit with discrete components but why bother as the chips work perfectly without a regulated suipply as well. There would also be power losses over the regulators. Generally, those things are used only in circuits that have a very low current draw.

casiomax

@teemuk
thanks for the answer. in that case a full wave rectifier and a filter cap should be enough to power tda2005. would 20,000uF cap enough?

teemuk

20 000 μF is even too much: The circuit will be drawing a gigantic current surge from the mains when the amplifier powers up and the filter cap charges (the caps effectively behave as short circuits during that time). This will stress your power supply extensively. On top of that, a 20 000 μF capacitor is quite expensive, usually very large and will store an energy charge that can do quite a lot of damage if it happens to short somewhere or explode. I simply don't see any point in using insane rail capacitances when you can get by with less.

You should be ok with 2200 μF and if you want to make sure there is truly enough of  filtering capacity then use 3300 μF or 4700 μF. I suppose you have considered the choice of transformer already; if the transformer is somewhat inefficient you can naturally compensate that by using higher filter capacitance (say, 4700 μF – 5600 μF). If its VA rating is about double the amount of power fed to the load then 2200 μF – 3300 μF should suffice.

casiomax

cmiiw, TDA2005 will draw max current at 4.5amp non repetitive, according to the datasheet, a 5amp supply transformer should be enough to supply the chip at 18votls with 2200uF filtering cap.

teemuk

According to datasheet 18 volts DC is the absolute maximum rating for the chip. I think you should use a 14VDC supply, as suggested by the datasheet examples. 5A transformer should be enough, as the chip already begins to limit current at 4.5A.

casiomax

Thanks for the information Teemu! Also, love your book.

fisherbim

:)
syndromet, tnx for the post...
teemu and casiomax, tnx for the great info...

;)

btw, if i want to add volume pot where would I start looking?
LM386s

casiomax

maybe a 20k pot on the input side of the amp.

casiomax

i tried a Bridge configuration from the datasheet, but seems that it doesnt work. anyone had any experience on bridge config for TDA2005?

J M Fahey

The bridged datasheet application works very well. You have to keep very close to the original suggested layout. I built more than 100 of 12Volts, 20 W RMS "Callejeros" (literally "Street Men") 3 channel combos, with a 4 ohm, 10 inch speaker and a piezo tweeter. The "Super Callejero" is biamplified, with an extra TDA2003 driving a LeSon tweeter. The power supply is a built-in 12V 7A.H. alarm gel battery.

casiomax

I did folow the schematic from the datasheet application, but maybe its just a missed wiring, all I hear on my speaker was a hissing noise.

I will check further, all I have now a working TDA2050 suppose to be higher wattage then a bridge TDA2005.

zidarsk8

Quote from: casiomax on May 25, 2008, 08:14:30 PM
i tried a Bridge configuration from the datasheet, but seems that it doesnt work. anyone had any experience on bridge config for TDA2005?
me to, and is there a problem on the datasheet (figure 1 ant 2) with R6 R7  (it says they 1ohm, but on the board layout figure it looks like they should be R2 and R3....

can anyone please explain this

thanks

teemuk

Well, all I can say is that you should check the datasheet's layout again. It's correct.