Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help with DIY Fuzz pedal

Started by Paul Nelthorpe, August 23, 2013, 02:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g1

No offense intended, but if you are unable to identify transistor types, how did you come to the conclusion that the original one was bad?  Was it blown up or burnt?

joecool85

For the record, I'm in central Maine, surrounded by trees...where there aren't trees there are farms  :tu:
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Roly

Quote from: joecool85 on August 27, 2013, 06:14:32 AM
For the record, I'm in central Maine, surrounded by trees...where there aren't trees there are farms  :tu:

Looks like another nice part of the world.  Trees mean birds, so I'd be happy.  Looks like more glacial lakes.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

joecool85

Quote from: Roly on August 27, 2013, 09:08:16 AM
Quote from: joecool85 on August 27, 2013, 06:14:32 AM

Looks like another nice part of the world.  Trees mean birds, so I'd be happy.  Looks like more glacial lakes.

You got it.  Glacial lakes, random rock formations/out crops, granite ledge with cool glacial striations.  Tons of bugs, birds and bears.  I like it here.
thatraymond.com

Enzo

Maine is cool.  I spent a few days stuck in Rumford many years ago.  Had a car wreck.  Someone invited us to their apartment.  It was July 20, 1969.  I watched the first moon landing on their TV.

Roly

BARRS in them thar woods?   :(

No thanks, I'll take my chances with our snakes and spiders.  {went out into the front garden the other night to try and see the meteor shower ... and came almost nose to nose with an Eastern Grey 'roo.  He didn't seem inclined to go anywhere, so I went back inside.  Anyway, it was overcast.}

joecool85

Quote from: Roly on August 28, 2013, 06:21:14 AM
BARRS in them thar woods?   :(

Not like the bears you see on TV.  Black Bears like we have in Maine here are really reclusive and you hardly ever see them.  When you do, they are normally running away.  They don't like people.  Not like Grizzly bears etc.

We also have a lot of deer, those you do see a lot of.  And the occasional Moose (kind of like bear, a lot here but don't see much of them since they hide a lot).
thatraymond.com

joecool85

Quote from: Enzo on August 27, 2013, 07:16:13 PM
Maine is cool.  I spent a few days stuck in Rumford many years ago.  Had a car wreck.  Someone invited us to their apartment.  It was July 20, 1969.  I watched the first moon landing on their TV.

Weird, what are the odds?  My wife is from Rumford.
thatraymond.com

Roly

Oh that's okay then.  I was having images of 9 feet 500lbs of fangs, claws, and bad attitude in the back yard.  Step outside for an idle bit of star gazing and come back a leg short of a pair.  :(

Generally kangas are pretty reclusive too, but the last couple of months they have been coming into the garden and right up to the house.  They aren't aggressive but this fella didn't take off as they normally would, and being spring(ish), and having seen the young bucks sparring, and knowing one kick could put me in hospital, I left him to it - and they do a good job of keeping the grass down, saves me mowing.

Our bush is pretty safe, but people do get into trouble when they mistake timid for harmless, and as many things climb trees they come equipped with quite significant claws.

One of the worst is the Goanna or Lace Monitor.  If spooked they will climb the nearest vertical object, but they are so stupid I've seen a small one shoot up somebody to perch on top of his head.  Fully grown the body is about a metre, so they can be two to three metres overall - and can out run you.

Enzo

City people versus stupid animals.

I live on 20 acres of rural land 10-15 miles out of town.   Surrounded by farm fields, we used to work our land too.  Raised hogs, rabbits, chickens... and geese.  The geese were free to range.  They hung around the yard.   Geese are incredibly stupid, but can also be very aggressive.  The gander will protect his gaggle.

People come out from the city, walk around the place.  There is a scenic slope down towards some marshland, my fruit trees are on that.  Deer dine on fruit in season.  Used to have a huge garden (about 80 feet on a side).  And somewhere in the yard they'd find the geese.   "Ooooh, look at those big ducks."  No, those are geese.  Walks towards goose, "Do they bite?"  Yes, they do.   But of course no one believes that, and reaches to pet their heads.  WHAM!!! "HEY< HE BIT ME!!!"   yeah, I said he bites.

But when a goose bites, he is also setting up to hit you.  He grips a bit of your flesh in his strong beak, so he can hold on and beat you with his very strong wings.   And that hurts.  It can even break a thin arm bone.  THose wings can take those heavy birds in the air and fly a thousand miles.  With bony knobs along the edge.

But they are stupid too.   If one comes at you, he will hiss and put his head down low, spread wings and run at you.   If you stand your ground and as he gets to you, put your fingers on top of his head and lead him on past you, he winds up behind you wondering where you went.   of course he figures it out fast enough and you are not far away.  But of one glorious moment it is hilarious.  Be prepared to run for it then.

J M Fahey

^^^^^^  love all's written above, in the last 5 or 6 posts  :dbtu:

michelterres

Quote from: Enzo on August 29, 2013, 11:51:56 AM
But when a goose bites, he is also setting up to hit you.  He grips a bit of your flesh in his strong beak, so he can hold on and beat you with his very strong wings.   And that hurts.  It can even break a thin arm bone.  THose wings can take those heavy birds in the air and fly a thousand miles.  With bony knobs along the edge.

There's a guy who lives near my house who keeps like 10 of them in his yard, no one dares to get in his yard, they're pretty aggressive, when they come at you in groups it's better to run like hell.

Quote from: Roly on August 29, 2013, 10:34:13 AM

Nice lizard, there's a lot of them here in the summer(not the same type as this one), I love them, my neighbor give food to them and they just stick around here harmless(unless someone threat it).

Roly

Quote from: Enzo"Ooooh, look at those big ducks."

Ducks?   :lmao:

Oh yeah, right, know about geese - pretty good self-managing security system.

Koalas are pretty laid back but they do have a couple of features that can catch the unwary.  "Aw look at the cure little Koala walking between trees.  I'll just pick it up for a pat ... OWW!".  They live in trees, have claws like meat hooks.  They don't mean any harm but if you try and pick one up they will hang on so they don't fall - to you - with those claws.  If they are already up a tree and want to be left alone (which they mostly do) they simply piss on you.

(Stoned again, as always)

The Goanna is the largest, but we have the entire range right down to tiny skinks only an inch long that are surprisingly fearless and curious.  I had a small one living under my soldering iron stand for a season.  Would come out and watch me doing stuff.  Similar to this little guy;

...but tangling with even slightly larger ones is a bit like shaking hands with a going sewing machine.

On summer evenings we would get hundreds of Red-Eyed Green Tree frogs making a racket.

Totally harmless and quite cute, but when you are walking around in shorts and one decides that it's a good idea to jump up onto your bare leg unexpectedly (splat, cold, wet)  :o ...  They have a two part call and I would take my revenge by imitating it backwards and mess with their heads.

J M Fahey

Quote from: Roly on August 30, 2013, 09:23:28 AM
Quote from: Enzo"Ooooh, look at those big ducks."

Ducks?   :lmao:

Oh yeah, right, know about geese - pretty good self-managing security system.

Maybe you wrote this tongue in cheek, but surprisingly (or not) it's Historical Fact, geese saved Rome from Gallic (early French) invasion, go figure.
Romans were so grateful that they built a temple in their honour.
http://www.lookandlearn.com/blog/18528/junos-sacred-geese-on-the-capitoline-hill-saved-rome-from-the-gaullic-hordes/

Enzo

yes, geese are formidable and protect the yard as well as a dog.  In fact when dog confronts goose, I don't assume the dog wins.   All our dogs gave the geese plenty of room.

Kinda funny to watch the dog run across the yard YI YI YI with a goose right behind him, nipping at the dog's ass.