Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Digital JFET Test Rig

Started by rowdy_riemer, February 24, 2011, 01:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowdy_riemer

BTW, has anyone considered making their own JFET's? I've been thinking about the possibility of making a JFET with an aluminum-doped zinc-oxide channel and a copper II oxide gate. My choice of materials are simply based on the fact that making zinc oxide and copper II oxide at home is probably easier than making your own silicon JFET's. I did see a video somewhere where some very intelligent woman made her own MOSFET at home, though she did have some equipment that one wouldn't normally find at home.

I'd first probably see if I could produce a small rod of zinc chloride. I saw some documentation where powdered zinc oxide was packed into a... I think a rod... and then sintered at 600 degrees C. I read somewhere else where a bit of aluminum chloride can be used to boost conductivity. If I could succeed at producing a conductive zinc-oxide rod, then, I would work out how to bond aluminum oxide to it for a gate. If I could ever get to that point, maybe I would play with channel and gate geometries, doping, etc. to see what I could get.

rowdy_riemer

JayFett

Darn... I was hoping there was a new JFET guitar (pre)amp about to be released by some company.

Sounds like you are taking the homemade electronics to a new level with EZ-bake jfets!  8)

rowdy_riemer

Hehehe, we'll see if I actually get to follow up on that idea. I like your name for that concept, btw!

J M Fahey

Well, it must be physically possible.
The first (1948) transistor was made by Bardeen and Brattain at Bell Labs "by hand", working on a desktop .
In fact, they were trying to make a FET !!!
Then they discovered that their "FET" had more gain than expected.
Since the Scientific mind tries to understand every "error", instead of sweeping it under the rug, what they found was the bipolar effect, so our bipolar transistors.  8)
As a side note, I once visited a Chinese Electronics Expo in Buenos Aires, in the 70's , *before* USA stuffed them with Technology and $$$$$$$$$$$ , and talked to some of the cool guys (and gals) there.
They were from some University, were proudly showing their self made oscilloscopes, and when asked about parts availability, they said they made their own transistors at the University.  :o :loco :duh
How's that ??? :dbtu: :dbtu:

Hackinblack

an interseting project;one that could be done using BASCOM AVR  (free BASIC compiler for the AVR microcontrollers) for the arduino-phobic :-\

rowdy_riemer

"and when asked about parts availability, they said they made their own transistors at the University.  "  Excellent!!