Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Crate gx900h

Started by Amdthedestroyer, April 01, 2019, 12:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amdthedestroyer

Hey all,
First post on here. I just swapped out my performance gear and I got to bring my head home with me. This is my favorite amp but I dont really now anything about it and I havent been ble to find out a whole lot about its history or anything of note. I know that its an Excalibur model which means that it was produced in a particular time period and I know it has a 2n3055 power section. Thats about it. Does anyone know anything about this particular model or Crates from the 90's and early 2000's? Im a classic metal player and i can't exactly articulate why but this amp is the sound I like

I was toying with the idea of doing some mods on it since its back at home, but Im a bit of a layman as far as electronics are concerned. I could replace resistors, ICs, or even the output transistors, but Idk if that would improve fidelity or tone or feel or anything. What can one do to improve a solidstate amp?

joecool85

Welcome aboard!  Regarding making it more reliable, not a whole lot you can do unless it is really old.  If that is the case, verify that grounding from the mains power input is there and is making a good contact.  You can also replace aging electrolytic power supply caps if they are very old.  Honestly though, it would have to be 30+ years old before I would consider recapping unless you were having issues with it.

Mostly, just enjoy!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

I think any amp that has worked for 20 years or more has already demonstrated reliability.

Amdthedestroyer

Good point. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I do really like it and I would hate to break it doing something unnecessary.