Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 06:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fresh meat.

Started by DADDEO, March 11, 2011, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

QuoteNothing like running on the bleeding edge for that extra 1/4w of output.
Well, that's what happens when the Marketing Dept runs the Company, instead of the Engineers.
I wonder why they don't just *say* they have that extra 1/4W, yet use things as God meant them to.
Oh well.

DADDEO

Looked at the datasheets for the 2050, and I must admit a lot of it went over my head. I suppose all that I'm doing is copying the schematics of circuits when building and not really learning anything exept soldering skills. I've just read a thread on this site about valve versus tube sound, and I'm sure the guy who started it has now got a Phd in electronics, it really was that complicated.
Do I really need to be that knowlegable to build a decent amp or would I be better off just building a pedal to get the sound I want.

p.s. At the time I joined this site, I had been given a Fender Frontman 15G that wasn't working and was told "if you can fix it, it's yours". It got sent for repairs, (hairline crack on pcb apparently, and he also changed one chip) and after trying it out at home have decided that the drive channel is too fizzy and that's why I asked about the DoubleD circuit as a pre amp.

Pissed off now, going to play with some Lego. I understand that. :( :( :( 
" I've told you before, I need it loud 'cos I'm going deaf ".

J M Fahey

QuoteDo I really need to be that knowlegable to build a decent amp or would I be better off just building a pedal to get the sound I want.
Well, not really.
*If* you get the schematic for a fine sounding amp and just faithfully follow it, no problem at all.
If somebody posts a *working* Mod for a regular amp, same thing.
Now if you want to design your own and transfer "that sound" in your head into actual nuts and bolts, obviously you'll have to learn a little more.
Nothing different to playing an instrument (or speaking a foreign language) where you can learn something literally by heart, or study more and do "your" thing.
That Frontman is interesting as a "testbed"; you already have a working amplifier, and can substitute any preamp you fancy to try different sounds.
That amplifier is not *that* buzzy by itself, it has a very weak speaker in an open, too small cabinet.
Plugged into a larger/better cabinet sound will be much better.
Good luck.

DADDEO

Cheers J M I was just a bit cranky after reading that thread. About the DoubleD, would it be possible to simply link the outgoing signal straight into the input of a power amp circuit via a vol pot ( like my Vellemans ), or would it need some extra bodgering.

Jim.

J M Fahey

It should drive it straight just fine.

DADDEO

Woohoo! You've just reignited my faith in bodgering. :tu: :tu: :tu:

joecool85

Quote from: DADDEO on March 19, 2011, 02:16:26 PM
Woohoo! You've just reignited my faith in bodgering. :tu: :tu: :tu:

He has a way of doing that haha.

Good luck with your plans.  No need to have a PHD in electronics to do this stuff, I certainly don't.  Just ask lots of questions and you'll get by just fine.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com