Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 06:11:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Belton mini reverb pans?

Started by Bear, January 12, 2016, 05:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

Anyone have experience with the Belton "mini" sized reverb pans?  Like BMN2 or BMN3 series?  A few inches shorter than the normal short pan configuration seems like it could enable a tight squeeze or two, but I wanted to see if anyone had gone there before trying to procure one--U.S. distributors seem to all pass on the minis.  As good? Nearly? No good?

(I'd think of the Digilog modules for new SS design.  Shamefully, I'm looking for a tube design I'm sketching out, but this forum seems the most likely to have experience with non-traditional pans, so I'm asking here first.)

phatt

Hi Bear,
          Oh yea it's a tricky subject xP

Unless you absolutely have to use Valve reverb it's best avoided. :-X
You can build a SS reverb just as good as the best valve unit if you do the right things.
SS reverb gets a bad name simply because a lot of combo amps use really crap circuits.

Cheapest way is the Belton digital brick but digital can sound a bit too hifi for guitar. (IMO)

If you have low voltage supply this unit I built will be more than you will ever need.

image post

free picture upload

upload photo

If you want SS Rev circuits THAT Actually WORK!!! no better place to learn than here;
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/reverb.htm

The Transformer drive idea on that page came from lil' old me. 8)
Rod E has far more experience than myself and did some research so his circuit may well be even better.
Mine has worked perfectly for the last 4 years. <3)

SS or Glass,,,For reverb to work well the drive circuit has to match the driven transducer.
Having messed around with many different circuit concepts for many years I can tell you from painful experience very few work that well.

Belton stuff here;

http://www.belton.co.kr/neowiz/img_home/belton_no11.pdf
Phil.

Bear

I'll have to work through that info.  I can't get your host site to play nice, though--is that one of the mini sized pans in your project, or the more conventional short format?

phatt

Just google "rod elliot reveb" should come up on the first page, ESP is in the logo.

Another good explanation of how it works can be found here;
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/reverbdriver.html
If Valves take your fancy then that will be helpful.

As for mini tanks I'm not sure how small you want but the tank in my Tverb is about 9 Inch long.
I've only ever seen one smaller tank but it was a cheap unit, and gave me problems.

The classic Roland space Echo unit actually had a Z configuration using a single spring.  The Tank was short but twice as wide. One spring but 3 times the length due to the odd layout, a clever setup. Those had a dedicated chip for drive as well.

BTW you read a lot of talk about 3 and even 4 rows of springs giving better reverb,,, Don't bother it's a waste of money as you only need 2 at most.
If you can find a close up of the transducer inside a reverb tank you will notice the coil is on one side of the tiny steel laminations which protrude sideways across the magnets.

With 3 or 4 rows of springs it's only the first 2 rows of springs closest to the coil that transfer 80% of energy. Gently mute the first spring next to coil and you loose a lot of reverb,, mute the 3rd or 4th row away from coil and it hardly makes any difference.
Phil.

phatt

I've been wondering about the *Mini tanks* you mention and after a search it seems they do exist.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech_corner/spring_reverb_tanks_explained_and_compared

Mentioned down the bottom in the data sheets, Mini Belton is 6 inches long which is very short and I've never seen one of those and one wonders how well it would work with such a short spring length.
Of course you still have to match the tank to the circuit you wish to use. :-X
Phil.

J M Fahey

Minis are the cheapest reverb tanks, they don't even come in metal cases, not even floating on springs, they just have 2 pieces of sticky foam tape, and are directly attached to chassis or even the PCB itself.

It's what all small 10/15W beginner's reverb amps use nowadays, I bet they don't cost more than $15 each, in OEM quantities (by the hundreds).
As they call it, it's the BS2 "without tray" and with 2 adhesive sponge pads underneat "to save space"  ::)
www.epartshub.com/include/common_fileAttach.jsp?filename=00004280-BSN2-3_without_tray_series1.gif&cmpyCd=00004280&type=Img