Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:19:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

What tube amp emulation circuit you are interested in?

Started by teemuk, June 30, 2007, 03:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack1962

Quote from: J M Fahey on June 05, 2008, 09:17:55 PM
I think that rather than "emulate tubes", the real challenge is "get good sound", which is often (but not always) found in tube amps, without using tubes themselves. I think Mr Pritchard is a genius, has *very* good sounding amps, but he misses the point, he often tries to emulate *everything* a tube does, which is not the real problem. Someday he´ll emulate a spirally wound 6.3V heated filament, a glass envelope, a 9 pin socket, the sound of high vacuum, and that´s not really necessary. I think Runoffgroove´s approach is basically flawed: Fets do not even approach triodes, (if any, they´re closer to pentodes); they copy (should I say mimic) classic circuits, horribly biased, horribly powered, that have ten times less gain than the originals, clip radically different, (just use a scope; I´me sure they don´t), harsh, dry, ugh!!  An example of good engineering (and audibly good taste) is found in the SansAmp guys, who do not use Fets , CMOS or even diodes but do get a very acceptable sound. I agree that Op Amps (universal gain blocks) with suitable components around them, skilfully used, are one of the safe ways to go.

Lmao- I have to agree for the most part , myself I am after good tone, I use tube amps for gigs, live stuff. However,  to record I use a lot of emulation(GNX4 and Roland). It's a matter of taste I have heard SS amps that sounded great and some that sounded beyond bad, same goes for tube amps. Bottom line , most peeps are after the emulation because of the price of those tube amps.

Rock On

Puguglybonehead

I'd like to see a circuit that emulates the sound of a Hiwatt 200 as used for bass by JJ Burnel on the early Stranglers albums. I realize a lot of his sound came from the cabinets full of guitar-speakers he was torturing to death, but it would be nice to have an analog preamp module to play with that could approximate his early sound.

I was impressed with the authenticity of runoffgroove's Flipster circuit, but that was successfully emulating the loose, floppy sound of an Ampeg Portaflex. I prefer the crisp, tight sound that the Hiwatt and Marshall bass amps had.

I've heard reasonable approximations of JJ Burnel's crunch, and Lemmy's sound before in one of those ridiculous 200-canned-sounds-digital-modeling pedals, but those type of digital-approximations lack any dynamic response and tend to get lost in an actual band setting. I also hate the idea of having to surf through menus to find a decent bass sound. I played in a practice space with one of these pedals, through a Peavey TNT, and found it completely unsatisfying.

Leave that digital modeling and menus and crap to the synth-nerds. I prefer having just a few dials to turn. It would just be nice to have the crunch of that Hiwatt or Marshall bass sound, with the reliability (and light weight) of a SS bass rig.

phatt

Re the subject question,

I have had great success with ""SState pre, into 10watt tube PP power stage driving a resistive load and ReAmplified via a SState power section"". [I call it the "ReAmp system" for short.]
I got the basic idea from the Guytron GT100 and thought it could work just as well with SState output.

As I had exhausted most of the other ways to attain good sound with all SState and this idea was modular and the Tube section is not expensive to make.
I would love to see/hear an all SState amp that does the tricks but until then my hybrid works fine.

But I,m always on the lookout for new ideas.
I did try the Valtronices gear but it was a sad excuse for guitar tone ,, [IMHO]
even some of my own SState Amp build attempts where better than those.

Anyway this is my first post so thankyou Teemu for the book, , a good read.

Cheers all, Phil Nambour Australia.

Jack1962

lmao-check out a Peavey Musician 400 Series B , it comes reall close to tube sound(real close).

Rock On

phatt

Quote from: Jack1962 on December 02, 2008, 02:56:13 AM
lmao-check out a Peavey Musician 400 Series B , it comes reall close to tube sound(real close).

Rock On

Ok,, is this similar or same as to the Nashville 400 amp?
I noticed the schematic of that under "Steel amps post".

That Nash 400 is not that much different than the Bandit models,,,
[a higher wattage of course.]
At a glance nothing stands out to me but I may have missed something as I'm not the expert that others are.

A Schematic would be good though?

If it's anything like the bandits with all that "Defined output impeadence" stuff then they where nothing special? That "Saturation" thing was a bit of a joke.

I have a friend who has two of those 112 Bandits and he would gladly swap his two bandits for my ReAmp setup anyday  ;)

Cheers, Phil Nambour Aust.