Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help with DIY Fuzz pedal

Started by Paul Nelthorpe, August 23, 2013, 02:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly

Quote from: J M FaheyMaybe you wrote this tongue in cheek

No.  I've lived in "the bush" for most of my life now, and one of the things I've done is "farm minding", looking after farms and their stock while the owners were away for days or weeks, so yeah, tending to cattle, horses, goats, chooks, geese, dogs, cats, even hamsters, from overnight to months.  I had a period of a couple of years when I was hardly ever at home.  One place had peacocks which are even more effective as security systems.  I'm no expert but I've had a fair bit of experience with critters domestic and wild.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

joecool85

Quote from: Roly on September 01, 2013, 06:47:58 AM
Quote from: J M FaheyMaybe you wrote this tongue in cheek

No.  I've lived in "the bush" for most of my life now, and one of the things I've done is "farm minding", looking after farms and their stock while the owners were away for days or weeks, so yeah, tending to cattle, horses, goats, chooks, geese, dogs, cats, even hamsters, from overnight to months.  I had a period of a couple of years when I was hardly ever at home.  One place had peacocks which are even more effective as security systems.  I'm no expert but I've had a fair bit of experience with critters domestic and wild.

That's really cool.  We have a small homestead going here.  We're young (both 28) and our Son is almost 2years old now.  We have a fair amount of garden space (5 different lots plus two large raised beds) and we keep chickens for eggs and meat.  We're thinking about getting a few geese as well, primarily as guard animals.  Our chickens free range and we have periodically had issues with local dogs bothering them.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

Chickens are dumb and fairly defenseless.   Any dog that sees a goose for the first time and thinks it is a chicken will be in for a surprise.   And if some evening someone comes into your yard and upsets the geese, you'll hear about it... HONK HONK HONK

We kept our chickens contained.  A coop and a scratch yard for them.  It helped protect them, and made it harder for them to hide eggs.

I don't do the productive stuff anymore, but I used to make a lot of bread.  I especially likes a light rye.  One of my favorite things was to bring a loaf out of the oven, let it sit a little and took a slice and buttered it while it was still hot.  And while I was eating that, a second slice went into the toaster.  I'd have a slice of buttered toast that had never been cold.

I also liked to go out to the coop, take a couple eggs from under a chicken and cook them.  A breakfast of eggs and bread toasted, neither of which had ever been cold, was my treat.

Roly

The country is the right place for kids, seems to breed self-reliance and confidence.

Quote from: EnzoAny dog that sees a goose for the first time and thinks it is a chicken will be in for a surprise.

:lmao:   :dbtu:

Since we are in this area, one little trick that several places I have minded use is a second layer of chook mesh to create a day run for the chooks around the perimeter fence of the veggie garden to keep some insect pests out.  They also seem to be a very effective countermeasure if you have a tick problem.

The only problem I found with baking your own bread is that everybody seems to eat it before it gets cold.  :cheesy:

{In the middle of this barnyard New Settler revery, I wonder how @Paul is getting on with his fuzz box?}
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

joecool85

Quote from: Roly on September 02, 2013, 10:36:31 AM
{In the middle of this barnyard New Settler revery, I wonder how @Paul is getting on with his fuzz box?}

I'm also curious.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com