Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Solid state head

Started by senorito_ako, April 02, 2007, 10:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

senorito_ako

Hey guys,

Is there any cheaper alternative to guitar amps like Polytone's mini-brain/Clarus Heads/Fender Ultralight type of amp ? I'm not looking to built one might end up frying myself in doing so.

I'm thinking of Guitar->Head->Cabinets (ideally) /PA's or some speakers. Would that do ?

I just want to travel light :) my fender princeton chorus (2X10) is kinda heavy.

syndromet

If you play places that have PA installed, a Sansamp GT2 is really all you need. Plug that into the mixer and dial in the sound you're after. If you are going to drag around a cabbinett anyway, I suggest you get a decent 1x12 combo, as they are easier to drag around than a cabinett and a head.

As for small amps, I'we never seen the little ones you linked to. Looks like cool projects, but I don't think I would gig them. I guess they are fairly packed inside, since SS amps need big power supplys. There is no way they have jammed a big enough transformer in there. You would also have problems fitting a good cooling system in that small enclosures. I'm sure they are great for homepractice, but under stage-lightning, I wouldent trust them. Guess thats just me though....

senorito_ako

Hello Syndromet,

Thanks for replying.  :)

Oh I'm not even sure if you could output a Head unit into the PA system. I was just guessin.

Will look into the Sansamp GT2, I hope I can order them online as things are not readily available here in New Zealand and all things music related cost both arms, a leg and one testicle (that expensive).

All the best,
Senorito