Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Princeton chorus Overdrive mod

Started by Dave72, October 22, 2009, 12:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave72

Hello Everyone,
I'm ready to do some tone tweaking on the overdrive channel of my princeton chorus amp.  But, I can't find the schematic anywhere.  I have started with replacing the speakers, but it's not quite right.  Any suggestions?

Dave 

joecool85

Quote from: Dave72 on October 22, 2009, 12:05:17 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm ready to do some tone tweaking on the overdrive channel of my princeton chorus amp.  But, I can't find the schematic anywhere.  I have started with replacing the speakers, but it's not quite right.  Any suggestions?

Dave 

Is it important that you change the built in overdrive, or is it just that you want a different sound?  An effects pedal running through the clean channel is most often the best solution to getting just the right sound.  You can build your own pedals or buy one.  runoffgroove.com has some great schematics to start with.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Dave72

I decided to experiment on the built in overdrive, it really doesn't get the job done.  I'm trying to get a better tone.  I've changed speakers and it's not quite right.  It's frustrating when the amp has an overdrive in it and to get a better tone you've got to use a separate pedal.  :duh

J M Fahey

Hi Dave.
Read what was posted in http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1342.msg8366#msg8366
Most modern SS Fenders have approximately the same preamp, check that one which is very probably the same or *very* close.
Experiment what was posted, if you wish.
It´s not *that* bad, but in practice it´s "a pedal straight into the power amp".
I guess that if you built it into an external box and plugged it into the clean channel it would be quite acceptable, but of course it's not worth it.
Build a Rat clone, you have PCBs, schematics and building guides on the Net; I think you´ll like it and you'll have no "surprises", it's a trusty old workhorse.