Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:31:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Please make correction on my schematic: Preamp of Red Circuit's 10W Guitar Amp

Started by newbiediy, March 02, 2012, 03:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbiediy

I came across with this guitar amp schematic: http://www.redcircuits.com/Page52.htm. I am interested in making a preamp based on it.
Obviously I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, so any correction would be VERY APPRECIATED.
Can I power it with a 9V battery?
Sorry for my bad English. We say "laik dis" instead of "like this" in Facebook. :P

J M Fahey

Looks somewhat right although the tone control will have almostnil effect.
Don't know whether 9V will be enough.
Depends a lot on which Fets you get.
In general lines Red Circuits isn't a reliable source.

newbiediy

I am wondering with C29 (47u). Usually the orientation is the other way around ie. the (-) side connects to power section. Any thoughts?

Is there any unnecessary parts?

Is Red Circuit really that unreliable? Actually I'm planning to make some of their circuits. Guess I'll have to reconsider.
Sorry for my bad English. We say "laik dis" instead of "like this" in Facebook. :P

J M Fahey

Loudthud

C9 orientation depends on what the following stage looks like. It's correct for the circuit you took it from because the following circuit has a positive voltage on it. Circuits with JFETs need to be tweeked to run properly, usually because you can't get the exact parts the designer used. This circuit would run better on 24V to 30V. The circuits at Runoffgroove make better DIY projects because they include trim pots and instructions needed to get them working without a lot of messing around. You will need a DVM to measure voltages.

newbiediy

Thanks for the replies. I guess I just don't have enough resources to build fet preamps. Don't have DVM and required skills.  xP
The most comfortable way for me would be op-amps then...

AlbertH

:(  You're going to have to spend some money - you really do need a DMM.  It doesn't have to be an expensive one, but it is essential.  It will save you blown components and frustration!

joecool85

Quote from: AlbertH on July 30, 2012, 05:43:23 PM
:(  You're going to have to spend some money - you really do need a DMM.  It doesn't have to be an expensive one, but it is essential.  It will save you blown components and frustration!

Yeah, while it isn't technically required, it certainly makes life a whole lot easier.  I went through a couple units over the past 10 years and my favorite is my current Craftsman one.  I like to have replaceable leads and a DMM that can do up to 10A or so as an ammeter (it has come in handy on more than one occasion), so this one fits the bill.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com