Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:56:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help on Schafer Amp

Started by jambandman, August 18, 2011, 08:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jambandman

If anyone can help on the cleaning pots n switches ... how do i clean these ... looks like they are solid backs except for maybe a tiny opening on the bottom of most of them .. do i just spray into those holes and turn knobs till they clean up ?? or is there another way to take them apart .. sorry for dumb ?s but I have never done this before ... thanks

joecool85

Quote from: jambandman on August 23, 2011, 08:45:25 AM
If anyone can help on the cleaning pots n switches ... how do i clean these ... looks like they are solid backs except for maybe a tiny opening on the bottom of most of them .. do i just spray into those holes and turn knobs till they clean up ?? or is there another way to take them apart .. sorry for dumb ?s but I have never done this before ... thanks

Thats how I do it (spray where ever there are holes).  Technically they can come apart, but I've never had good luck with that method.  At that point it's normally easier for me to just replace the pot.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

Hello jambandman,

Yep that's a tricky one to answer.
As Joe mentioned spay in the access holes but be prepaired it may not work. :'(

In my limited experience, Yes it can be just dirt and or corrosion and a quick squirt will fix it but the more likely situation with older amps is the Pots from that era are carbon tracks and the wiper over time wears off the carbon track and they develop the intermittent open circuit scratching problem you hear.

Try the spray but you may still end up having to replace the pots in the long term.

If the Amp is only going to see home use and the pots only scratch when moved and does not effect the playing of the unit then it maybe be a lot simpler to just leave it alone.

On the other hand if the amp is going to see a lot of use,, then you may as well bite the bullet and replace all the pots.

Maybe get it overhauled by a competent tecky chap.

You have a very nice amp and yes we are all jealous. :P
Cheers, Phil

jambandman

hello all and thanks for the help ... Im going to try to clean this baby up this coming week when I can find the right spray .. I already have feelers out for a good amp doc if the cleaning doesnt work ... if it does work Ill try to get some sound clips to upload for everyone to hear !! Thanks again !!

jambandman

Ok so i finally cleaned up the switches and for the most part they cleaned right up just a tad scratchy on one or two of them but I can live with it considering how bad they were .. sounds really nice with an electric and acoustic .. I will try to post a soundclip when I get a chance .. thanks again for everyones help ..

joecool85

Glad it worked for you, cheap is always good :-)
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com