Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:48:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

What is going on over at music-electronics forum?

Started by macsledge, December 29, 2012, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macsledge

Enzo

Not me, tboy finds none as well.   But sometimes those warnings are caused by the google ads that appear on the pages.  If those link to a suspected site, the whole forum gets listed as bad.  And those ads are custom for each person who logs on.

macsledge

Thanks for the heads up Enzo. Thanks for all I've learned from you as well.

Roly

Just got this from Google;

QuoteLogarithmic potentiometer tapers: type A vs type B
music-electronics-forum.com/t4992/
This site may harm your computer.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey

Yes, me too.
Funny thing is, I think google itself is somewhat responsible too.
Because a week ago I got straight into MEF and my antivirus gave me a warning ... but then I blocked google and yahoo ad serving sites linked to MEF and, guess what? got a clean bill of health  :o  :duh
I'm pasting my NoScript settings here, click to open the image:

Roly

Thanks for the pointer to NoScript JM.  :dbtu:  {so much software, so little time...}

Hope you're having an enjoyable break.

macsledge

I'd certainly be willing to pay for MEF if they would get rid of the ads. It's pretty sad that the site is still being blocked. Oh well.

Loudthud

It's been ok since Monday but today there was several trojan attacks and a java script attack. I think I'll stay off there for a while.

joecool85

Quote from: macsledge on January 10, 2013, 04:13:06 PM
I'd certainly be willing to pay for MEF if they would get rid of the ads. It's pretty sad that the site is still being blocked. Oh well.

Do the ads bother you here as well?  Just curious as they "pay the bills" for the site so to speak.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Enzo

I have had no trouble here.  Then again I have no trouble over at MEF either.   I don;t know much about computers, but I get the idea that it seems to matter how the site gets pegged as dangerous.  I have three different anti-spyware and anti-virus protections going.  None of them are stopping the site for me.  I see that search engines like google are pegging the site as dangerous.   And of course the google ads seem to be at the heart of it, and everyone sees different google ads.  SO I also think it really matters what else you do in the course of a day to geet google ads to target you specifically.   SOme of us may see cars, real estate, video games on their google ads, while others of us get Fender amps, Behringer stuff, and CD/MP3 offerings.

DrGonz78

Use Google against itself!! Start using startpage.com which uses google influence without tracking your IP address, hence a built in proxy search environment. So, you still search w/ google but you are not tracked like you would be eating those damn devilish Google Cookies!

I say there is nothing wrong with MEF website and will testify in a malware court of law on that one. Set your Javascript to prompt you before ever running on ANY browser that you ever use. To me Java has been a curse in the programming world for way way too long now. Today Homeland security put out an alert about Java holes that are mainly effecting Oracle based database systems. They are telling all to turn off Java(not really javascript this is much more heavy) to avoid troubles. They say they will be issuing a patch on Jan 15th to fix this HUGE issue. Note: that Sunmicrosystems is not yet effected but that is not saying much in the JAVA world. Trust me there is some weird stuff going on lately and always has been, but it seems like the weird factor just got turned up a bit.

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/625617
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

J M Fahey

QuoteAnd of course the google ads seem to be at the heart of it, and everyone sees different google ads.  SO I also think it really matters what else you do in the course of a day to geet google ads to target you specifically.   SOme of us may see cars, real estate, video games on their google ads, while others of us get Fender amps, Behringer stuff, and CD/MP3 offerings.
I think that's the point.
FWIW now I see no ads at all while I browse SSGuitar or MEF  :o  (as in now: nothing nada no zero zilch) BUT I'm running No Script and it tells me SSGuitar IS allowed to run javascript (I guess I trust joecool  <3) ), but there are also 2 sites (yes, hosted in this very page) which I did NOT allow to do so:
*  google-analytics dot com <-- I guess they "analyze" what I browse and feed such data to:
* googlesyndication dot com <-- I guess they feed me ads based on my browsing history
NoScript is very easy to use, because you "teach" it who to allow, like you would a guardian dog: It starts allowing *nobody* and squeaks like a frightened mouse (no kidding) everytime they try to.
It's funny, some pages go "squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak " meaning they called (without asking  :trouble ) 5 others.
Some like the big newspapers (NY Times and such) may call up to 15 or 20 others  :o
When it squeaks, you simply click "allow" or "don't" and it remembers, just like that.

As a backup shield I also have AdAware which works in a different way: it allows to load *everything* but every "object", such as an ad image or specially those pesky, heavy and resource hogging flash animations get a little "block" label on one edge.
So you have, say, the top 1/3 of your screen with an Energizer ad full of tireless bunnies chasing each other, with Music, special effects, whatever, slowing your machine or simply distracting you: you just click the "block" kabel and it magically disappears.
That one and any other from that address  8)
For example, now it's blocking:
* a "show ads" script from pagead2 googlesyndication com
* google analytics
* tqlkg com <-- what's this?  :-\
* awltovhc com    ""
* ftjcfx com         ""
* lduhtrp com       ""

DrGonz78

tqlkg com >>> Online marketing solutions: performance-based affiliate programs & search marketing
By facilitating strategic relationships between advertisers and publishers, Commission Junction leverages its proven expertise in affiliate marketing, partner marketing and search marketing to drive measurable results for its clients.
ValueClick, Inc. (Nasdaq: VCLK) is the single-source provider of media, technology and related services that enable advertisers, agencies and publishers to reach consumers in all major online marketing channels.

Also go look at this site that relates to tqlkg.com and scroll to the very bottom. READ that whole privacy policy.

http://www.robtex.com/faq.html

awltovhc com>>>helps companies to utilize online marketing with search engines

ftjcfx.com is a domain used by Commission Junction which is an advertising company that is part of a network of sites, cookies, and other technologies used to track you, what you do and what you click on, as you go from site to site, surfing the Web. Over time, sites like ftjcfx.com can help make an online profile of you usually including the sites you visit, your searches, purchases, and other behavior. Your profile can then be exchanged and sold between various companies like ftjcfx.com as well as being sold to other advertisers and marketers.

lduhtrp.net is a domain used by MediaPlex which is an advertising company that is part of a network of sites, cookies, and other technologies used to track you, what you do and what you click on, as you go from site to site, surfing the Web. Over time, sites like lduhtrp.net can help make an online profile of you usually including the sites you visit, your searches, purchases, and other behavior. Your profile can then be exchanged and sold between various companies like lduhtrp.net as well as being sold to other advertisers and marketers.

<<< So it's not that bad right? It's just like waking up after a really great night of partying and trying to remember what you did!
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Roly

Quote from: J M FaheySSGuitar IS allowed to run javascript (I guess I trust joecool

Yeah, but the problem isn't Joe.

In December I had TWO injections of malicious Javascript code into all the pages of AVA.  Only for a couple of days each time before they were detected and fixed, but the fact that folks like Joe and I are trusted to run clean sites only makes it worse.  AVA is just basic HTML, no Java, but that wouldn't have protected my users.   :grr

I've now installed NoScript and I really like the control it gives me, and thanks Doc for the startpage.com tip, I can see that becoming a regular.   :dbtu: