Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Amp help for a(n old) newbie

Started by czgunner, October 27, 2020, 06:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

czgunner

Hey all,
I've been fooling around with guitar since about 2000. My playing should be better, but I'm trying to get back into it.
When I was deployed to Iraq in 2004 I bought some gear to ship to my house in the States.
I've a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and US Masters dual humbucker strat style guitar.
I haven't had any amp issues yet, but I went down the rabbit hole reading about their common issues.
I pulled the cover and I don't see any caps leaking or burned/hot spots on the PCB. I don't want to have issues down the road, so I'm thinking about selling it for something else. I've read about the Luigi mod and some other parts kit upgrades.
I am drawn to rock/blues and like the old style of Fender tone. I don't perform, and want something smallish for the house.
I'd really like to do the Luigi board, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of work right now. I recently was laid off work (auto tech for 10 years) and am now going back to school full time. I also don't know of any good shops around here (Vancouver, WA) that I would trust or be able to afford. Looking for suggestions if you have any.
What do you all think? Should I sell this and look for something else? I don't have a lot of money to add to the cost of something else, so what I sell it for would pretty much determine my budget.
Thanks for looking!

Enzo

The Hot Rod series do have some things that happen to a lot of them, BUT, there is a difference between "When they fail, THis is what often happens" and "This usually fails in an amp."

WHEN an amp comes in with channel switching problems, I know to look at the two hot power resistors.  But that does NOT mean that all the aamps do that.  Most of them do not have a problem.

"Leaky" caps don't usually look different.  The leak refers to electrical operation, not some goo oozing out.  That can happen too, but it rare.

My point being I generally do not like pre-emptive wholesale parts replacement.  We would be more likely to cause problems than to prevent them.

joecool85

Being a Fender tube amp, resale is pretty great.  You could definitely get a few hundred dollars for it and turn around to buy a new amp.  That said, this amp should last...forever-ish?  Maybe some tubes here and there, but not bad.  If you like the sound, I'd recommend keeping what you have!  :dbtu:
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Jazz P Bass

In my opinion the HR series of amps are a really good sounding amp.
I would keep it & enjoy it.