Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:46:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Yet another Newbie!

Started by One-way, February 09, 2009, 04:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One-way

Hi there folks,
I stumbled upon this great forum while Goggle searching.
I come from down under in New Zealand. I build my own acoustic and electric guitars, cabs which I gig with, and own a Vox AD50VT Valvetronix amp which I really like because of the variety of great tube like tones available.
I like tinkering with electronics and can follow simple schematics. I fitted an FX loop to the amp plus a series wired jack output socket so I can have the internal speaker and cab going at 16 ohms which sounds great.
I recently bought an unfinished SS amp project of our auction site (similar to Ebay) for NZ $10.00 about $6.00 US which does go, but has very low volume. It has a few wires that have broken off where they were soldered on. I cant get in touch to get any info from the actual guy that was building it and apparently wasn't built to a standard wiring schematic.
I will take some good pics of it so hopefully someone can give me an idea of what Ive basically got. It has 16 Alpha control pots on it and bought just for that.
It has a new 160VA Toroid 25 & 25 volt 3.2 amp secondary series and 6.4 amp secondary parallel whatever this all means.

What I actually wanted to do was to use some of the parts to build a small 5-6 watt all tube amp. With the low NZ dollar and freight costs it basically puts the idea of buying a tube kit overseas unrealistic. The next thought is whether it could be hybridised by adding a tube/ tubes in the circuit  somewhere.
I did wonder if i could use the 25 volts and cut it to 6.3 volts for a heater circuit and run  12AX7 tubes at 230 mains voltage? Probably a dumb as question.
Cheers
Ill get back with some pics.

J M Fahey

Hi One-Way.
Your power transformer is good for an almost 100W into 4 ohms amplifier, very impressive. We´re talking SS here, it´s unsuitable for tubes but, who needs them? Please post some pictures.
Bye.
J M Fahey

One-way

Thanks for the reply. I have shifted the post with pic to the amp section.
Cheers.