Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Yamaha Amp tech in Birmingham, Alabama area.

Started by bce boy, May 29, 2015, 10:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bce boy

Hey folks. I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone(s) could assist me.

I have a Yamaha G50 ii 112 that needs restoring. I was hoping someone could recommend a good Yamaha/Solid State technician in the Birmingham, Alabama area. I'm willing to travel to TN or Atlanta or parts of Mississippi/Florida panhandle if need be.

Thanks!

nosaj

bce boy

There are a number of things, mostly small, but a few really need addressing.

It distorts at medium and loud volumes on the clean settings and seems noisier. I play mostly "clean" jazz, blues and country so the clean settings are important.

The little things are: one of the pots on the front panel needs replacing (stem broken off), I need to Deoxit the pots (static),  one of the foot switches on the 2-switch foot pedal does not work (no big deal - I just need to get a new switch and replace it.).

I was hoping the tech could address the distortion and noise issues.

Got any suggestions?

Enzo

It all sounds like normal sorts of basic repair and maintenance items.  COnsidering the age of the amp, I would not be surpised if a bunch of the small electrolytic caps in the signal path were leaky or dried up.  That could introduce some unwanted DC offsets in the op amp stages.  And for that matter we would want to check the power rails for integrity.  And a noisy op amp would not be surprising.