Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Blazer 158 Silver Stripe

Started by aoresteen, March 12, 2013, 10:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly

"Five new handles and two new heads - best axe I've ever had."   :lmao:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Enzo

I almost have one of those.   I have an old Weller solder gun, the 100/140 watt one.  (image from TEquipment site)

I've have had it for decades.  The plastic housing has broken, and I replaced it.  The power cord died, and I replaced it.  The tips wear out, and I started making my own with pieces of 12ga copper wire.  The trigger switch failed, and I replaced it.   About the only thing left original is the transformer in the middle.  The thing has been a great soldering gun though.

bobhill

Quote from: Enzo on March 16, 2013, 02:02:18 AM
Ahem, Gorilla here...

When we were playing the clubs back about 1970-1973, we carried a full B3 and Leslie.  We had an 18 foot truck.  I could get the Leslie out of it by myself.  No ramp or lift gate, just technique.  The organ itself, yeah, it needed a guy on the other end.   Leslies are not near as heavy as they look, and I am not especially strong.

Then our keyboardist decided he wanted a piano.  He wanted a REAL one, so we started hauling this full size upright to gigs.  900 pounds if I recall.  That took the entire band to move.   I have always hated the sound of a Fender Rhodes, that distorted "bonk" sound does nothing for me, but I sure would have loved to see one back then.

Here in town, we have a local guitar hero named Frog, and he has been known to put an amp out in the van, and run a mic out to pick up the sound, so he can get the sound of a screaming loud overdriven amp without blowing the whole bar away.  So there is a precedent for the story Roly just posted.

Back in the 70's, my keyboard player had the obligatory B3 + Leslie and an upright piano. I would volunteer to help him carry in his Mini-Moog. ::) Of course, this was after I had to move my full stack Marshall Superlead, and help with the PA (4 Peavey CSP's at 100+ lbs each.) We had a soundman, but no roadies. It was either borrow an 18' truck, or move several loads in my VW bus.

mexicanyella

It's cool to encounter some love for small Peavey SS amps, and the Spongebob Squarepants-grilled Rage sounds like a really cool project. My first amp as a kid was a Audition 20, and I still have it and use it all the time. Interestingly, I find I usually have the pre gain around 6 and the post gain at 4 or above...same settings shown in your photo!

On mine, I kept the silver stiffening strips on the sides of the grille, but removed the spiky stoner Peavey logo and added a red and white International-Harvester "IH" logo. I like amps to look like tractors.

I look forward to reading about the OP's progress with the Blazer.

aoresteen

Parts are in from Peavey.  First mods in progress.  Need some dry weather!
Tony Oresteen
Peavey Bandit Silver Strip, Revolution 112
Marshall MOSFET Lead 100 3210
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA