Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 08:05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Envoy 110 - New Speaker!

Started by aoresteen, November 19, 2011, 02:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aoresteen

I bought a Peavey Envoy 110 out of a pawn shop around Dec 2008 for $40.  It's the first generation circa 1989

I made a stand for it out of a bar stool:

Getting these smaller amps up off the floor really helps with the sound.

I also wired in a switched 120V outlet so when I turn the amp on it sends 120v AC power to my pedal board

I also put in a refreshment holder  :) 

It's my pick up and go amp for jam sessions and open mics.

Anyway,  I have always liked the Peavey amp but the speaker just wasn't as good sounding as my tube rigs (they have lots better speakers -Webers, Celstions ect) so I decided to show the Peavey some love.  I ordered a Weber Vintage series 10" 10F150 8 ohm 50w speaker.  Total cost with shipping was $104.

I installed it today and I am extremely happy with it!!  Weber reccomend the 10F150 and it's a great choice.

The speaker is at least twice the weight of the OEM made in Taiwan speaker.  It has a 50oz ceramic magnet.  I've only been playing on it for an hour but it really improved the sound of the amp.  It ROCKS!  I'm sure it will break in nicely like my other Webers have.

In case it isn't loud enough I've set up an Ampclamp with a Shure SM57 to mic it.   :)

http://www.ampclamps.com/wtpro.html

I travel between Atlanta and Orlado and I have another Peavey Envoy 110 - a 2nd generation circa 1995 with the TranTube circuit - in my Orlando apt:

I'm gonna have to get a Weber for it as well.   :)

Tony Oresteen
Peavey Bandit Silver Strip, Revolution 112
Marshall MOSFET Lead 100 3210
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA

J M Fahey

Excellent idea.
The Envoy 110 in fact is a "mini Bandit", killer all-purpose amp, only smaller.
And good/excellent speakers never hurt any amp.

JHow

You had me at the beverage holder (and bottle-cap opener).  "Wile-E-Coyote...Sup-er genius."

szklemen

Don't interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon

aoresteen

Quote from: J M Fahey on November 19, 2011, 06:38:03 PM
Excellent idea.
The Envoy 110 in fact is a "mini Bandit", killer all-purpose amp, only smaller.
And good/excellent speakers never hurt any amp.

Well I just bought a Peavy Bandit 112 off of CL Orlando $125 in excelent shape. It's a Silver Strip first Trans Tube version circa 1995.  It sounds great.

BUT

It is very heavy!  A lot heaveir than the Envoy 110.  No matter. I've got a mad mad project in mind for the Bandit!  More to come!  :)

Tony Oresteen
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA

joecool85

Quote from: aoresteen on December 12, 2011, 02:28:42 PMIt is very heavy!  A lot heaveir than the Envoy 110.  No matter. I've got a mad mad project in mind for the Bandit!  More to com!  :)

Sounds nuts :crazy2:

Keep us posted!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

aoresteen

Sorry for the LONG delay.  I did put a Weber in my second Envoy 110 and my oh my, does it rock!!!!

The Bandit 112 is undergoing a serious transformation and I should have an update next week.
Tony Oresteen
Squier SP10
Newnan, GA

QReuCk

I happen to be the happy owner of another Envoy 110 from 1995.
Although I recently bought a Tech21 Trademark 120 which is even greater for my band, I still use the Peavey when I don't want to carry the big stuff, and when I want to amplify my retro-fitted passive piezzo nylon accoustic.
With the stock speaker, it has a great transparent clean chanel.
From my experience, this amp benefits a lot from pre-EQing/clean boosting/buffering (any pedal format EQ will perform these 3 functions at the same time if you place them between the guitar and the amp as you're forced to do anyway with the Peavey that doesn't have an effect loop).