Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Bandit playing up

Started by jbjr, March 12, 2013, 07:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbjr

My bandit is acting weird. Noticed over the last few weeks volume fluctuations, and at practice with a band it seems a wee bit anaemic - no punch. It also started hissing with the volume on zero - i gave it a whack and  the hissing subsided...but it still doesn't sound 100%. Transformer hum seems quite loud too.  Any idea on what might be going on?

phatt

Could be the pot has gone open circuit,, a cracked solder join but yep likely the will have to come off. :'(
Are confident with solder and pcb probing? If so highly likely fixable without too much expense.
Phil.

Enzo

The main suspects will be the FX return jack and/or the power amp in jack.  And if your Bandit has an INSERT jack, look at it too.

When the amp is in this weak state, poke a plug in and out of any of the jacks I mentioned.  Just in and out a couple times.  Does that wake the amp up?  Or will that trigger the problem?

If som spray some contact cleaner into the jack, and poke the plug in and out of it a few more times to spread it around.