Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

headphones into extension speaker

Started by nysteen, December 24, 2009, 08:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nysteen

Hello

I have a Peavey Delta Blues amp and I would really love to be able to plug my headphones into the amp and play silently, but it does not have a headphones jack. Can i somehow plug my headphones into the extension speaker jack and mute the amp itself so I only get the sound in my headphones?

phatt

I'll assume it's a Tube Amp? in that case steer away from headphone ideas :duh
You can do it but a lot has to happen and the complexity and cost will hinder your progress.
Phil.

fretknowmore

possibly consider a dummy load.
an 8 16 ohm resistor of huge wattage 10000 watts
and rig that in with another resistor to the headphone jack
the rig would be external but it is a way to jack sweet tones and not at that loud volume
and yeah when it's cranked you hear music coming right from the resistor.

Minion

If it has a Line out then you can built a simple headphone amp circuit and listen that way or even buy one of those cheap behringer headphone amps and use that ....

J M Fahey

Remember to plug a shorted plug into the power amp in to mute it or you will still hear it.
Anyway Phatt's suggestion applies: tube amps don't have much use for headphones (unless you drive them full tilt into an attenuator/silent speaker thas has its own phone output) because you lose much of the "magic".
You might plug into a SS practice amp headphone out and hear about the same.