Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:36:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

building a solid state amp from schematics (PCB missing!)

Started by fsx, August 04, 2007, 11:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsx

Hello,
this is the first time I write in this forum. I can boast being a newbie
in many fields, including but not limited to guitar amplification and electronics
so please forgive me if my posts are quite boring. But if you can, please
help me.

I have got the schematics for a solid state guitar amplificator but I don't
have the necessary skills to make the PCB, I have asked some friends of
mine for help but they have no time.
Also, the amp is american and I live in Italy, so I need to convert the
tension to 220VAC 50Hz.
I have asked in some usenet forums but many answers were like "buy one"
or "use this, use that instead of what you want" but really, I want that
amp because it is one of my favourite ever.
It's a Randall Century 200. Of course I will give the schematics to anyone
who would help me.
If someone can help me building a good working amp without frying my
guitar or cabinet, that would be great. I am asking here because I am
afraid I could ruin everything if I make it by myself.
Thank you for reading this message.
Bye!

FSX

R.G.

The really pertinent question is - do you have the skills to connect up the AC power line wiring and also the low voltage power safely, so it will stay safe over the amp's life. If you do not already know how to do this, no forum is going to teach you.

If you are a newbie at electronics, it may be a mistake to start with such an ambitious project. You should perhaps do some smaller things first to develop your skills. I say this not to discourage you, but to be realistic - I don't want you to get killed trying to do this.

Usenet forums are in general useless. There are very few people on them that really do understand what they're talking about.

To answer your question, yes, it is entirely possible to wire up an amplifier on perforated electronics board - "perf-board" - and have it work reliably, but doing so is a skilled craft. You must build the skills first to be successful. Doing such an amplifier as a first project is not a good way to start.

joecool85

Not that it would be easy, but you can make your own PCBs as well.  Or, if you have some money, you could pay someone to make a PCB from the schematics.  It would make life a whole lot easier.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

teemuk

Seriously, if you plan to build anything fairly complex (has over 10 components) then invest some time and money so that you can make a good PC board for it. I could give plenty of reasons why, but if you indeed are as newbie as you "boast" then some of them might go over your head. Anyway, I can try:

- You can arbitrarely route traces in PCB, not that freely in vero/perf/stripboard designs (for obvious reasons)
- Since routing traces is easier you will likely have shorter trace/wire lenghts between interconnections and components. This will make the circuit more stabile and usually the board a lot more neater and professional looking as well.
- So, a PCB usually has more logical and neater layout, which in turn makes troubleshooting a lot more easier
- Most of those prototype boards are as fragile as a standard PCB (sometimes even worse)
- The outcome is more consistent when you use a PCB
- The circuit behaviour is more predictable when you use a PCB
- PCB will lend itself as easily to modifications as a "prototype board" - assuming that you design it that way
- The PCB can have wider - or narrower traces - where ever they are needed
- The PCB generally suffers less from trace capacitance than, say, a stripboard. Also, if you use a stripboard you have to shorten all strips with excessive length just to avoid that kind of problems.
- You can leave plenty of clearance between traces if you use a PCB. That creates less problems with trace capacitance, solder bridges etc. For the same reason you can also "tin" the PCB traces in order to improve current handling
- IC-based circuits are easier to build on a PCB than to, say, on a perfboard
- Less manual labour and wire jumpers are required if you use a PCB
- Making revisions is easier with PCB: Just modify the existing board design. With vero/strip/perfboards you have to make the layout again and again from the beginning
- Those were just few examples...

You can try it both ways but I guarantee that in the long run you will prefer to build stuff using a nice PCB.

You should consider this: The most important skill in making a PCB is the skill to make a decent and proper layout for the design you have. This skill is also the most difficult to learn. If you can't do it with a PCB then you definitely can't do it with any of those prototype boards. By the way, with the term "layout" I mean both the physical layout plus the routing of connections in between components and various circuit parts.

Basically, anything besides the layout procedure requires no exceptional skills: Even a 10-year old can make a PCB after few hours of practice - it's quite easy. The problem that you will face is the requirement for tools. You need at least a small drill (preferbaly table-mounted one), an etching tank, acid and some way to warm up the acid while you etch the boards. If you are planning to make electronics your hobby then I suggest you start considering that you will buy these.

R.G. is also right: Don't start with a project that is too ambitious or complex. One way to measure which project is up to your skills is this: If you are unable to tell how any part of the circuit you are planning to build works then your project is too ambitious or complex for you. If you can't tell how a certain circuit works it is quite likely that you can't build it properly either. In this case the success of your project is a product of dumb luck. I'm pretty sure you don't want that. If you start with something that is too complex, spend months in trying to make it work, exceed your "budget" because you blow 40% of the components in the process and still eventually fail the project, it will most likely drive you away from the electronics hobby. Start with something small, build up your skills and knowledge, then journey onward with the more complex projects.

fsx

joecool85 wrote:

> Or, if you have some money, you could pay someone to make a PCB from the schematics.
> It would make life a whole lot easier.

Absolutely!
How much do you want to make a good working (and sounding!) PCB from that schematic converted to 200VAC 50Hz?

joecool85

Quote from: fsx on August 14, 2007, 06:49:47 PM
joecool85 wrote:

> Or, if you have some money, you could pay someone to make a PCB from the schematics.
> It would make life a whole lot easier.

Absolutely!
How much do you want to make a good working (and sounding!) PCB from that schematic converted to 200VAC 50Hz?

I would not be the right guy to do it as I have little/no experience making PCB designs.  However, the right people are out there.  I don't know if we have anyone here at SSGuitar that can do it or not.  If you want, go ahead and start a new thread specifically looking for people to help you out.
thatraymond.com

tonyharker

Hi FSX  Ive designed and made quite a few PCBs.  What circuit are you interested in having made?   I maybe able to help you.  Are you wanting to make the PCB yourself if you have a design, or do you want someone to make it for you? 
Do you want to solder the components on the board? 

Tony.

Gabriel

Hey FSX, i do pcb layouts as well, can u share the schematics? I'll send my results.

joecool85

Quote from: LOBO on October 12, 2010, 11:49:19 AM
Hey FSX, i do pcb layouts as well, can u share the schematics? I'll send my results.

He may not reply since this thread is 3 years old.
thatraymond.com

phatt

Well spotted Joe cool,, Good to know someone is awake.
Yep I once wrote out a 10 page answer to a 2 year old posting.   :-[ ::)
Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on October 25, 2010, 07:45:18 AM
Well spotted Joe cool,, Good to know someone is awake.
Yep I once wrote out a 10 page answer to a 2 year old posting.   :-[ ::)
Phil.

It's ok, we've all done it.
thatraymond.com

tra

Quote from: LOBO on October 12, 2010, 11:49:19 AM

What would you charge to do a layout of the Randall RG100ES Red channel?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=79923.0