Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Rage 158 modification

Started by bcsuther, January 05, 2016, 09:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcsuther

Hello everyone! So I'm extremely new into the electronics world, I have a basic knowledge of Ohm's Law and soldering. I inherited a Peavey Rage 158 (schematic attached) and I would like to alter it a little to sort of get started playing with things. I've searched google on this topic but all modifications suggested are for models that have a 4558 Op-Amp, as you can see in the schematic this model does not posses such technology. So any suggestions or information on what I can do apart from changing the speaker would be helpful.
Thank you!

Enzo

So you have a "transtube" model then?  If you are looking for things other people have done, you will have to look for transtube circuit mods.

Speakers are important, a different speaker is THE one most effective way to change the sound of any amp.   You want to hear something amazing?  Disconnect the internal speaker and connect the wires to an external speaker cabinet.  A 4x12 will sound like you never expected, or a 2x12, or a 4x10, or even just a 1x12.

As to the circuits, this is a pretty basic amp.  But in any amp, if you plan to modify it, I think an important part of the process is to identify WHAT you plan to accomplish.  In what areas does the amp not fulfill your desires, and what do you want it to do differently? 

People often describe their mods as amazing feats of engineering, but trust me, this amp will never "sound like a Marshall" or capture the sound of a fender Twin.  These amps really do make some good sounds, but they are what they are.

FRANKJC

I have one of these amps that I rescued from the trash. Someone tried to modify it. I am assuming they were trying to make it foot switchable, because the channel switch was  gone and there were a few feet of wire hanging out of the hole where the switch used to be. Brought it home put a new switch in, and it was a fine first amp for my son when he started playing. What kind of mods are you looking for?

J M Fahey

Not sure the OP will read this, he left for good on
QuoteJanuary 08, 2016
but in general

I'm quite certain that Peavey Engineers milked as much as possible from this design, and "transtube" being a quite non conventional way of doing things, might not lead to easy modding.

That said, 2 useful and possible "Mods" come to mind, although than real Mods qualify as completing something which was left out .

1) if this is the non reverb version, the PCB is the same for both, just Reverb circuitry parts are not stuffed.

So filling that PCB up and adding a suitable tank is great.

2) switching as is does not allow for remote footswitching, they mechanically switch low level high impedance signals, fine for a front panel simple switch and short lengths of wire, which stay shielded by the chassis itself, but a nightmare if sent over multicore cable a few yards away.

Loss of highs/bleeding/hum/buzz/radio pickup .

So you *can*  add a DPDT relay inside the chassis, and remotely trigger it from as far as a block away, go figure.