Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Crate GFX-212T

Started by DeeVee, February 24, 2008, 03:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeeVee

My son has a Crate GFX-212T that is used, a few years old.  The two speakers seem original and are 8 ohms but are wired in series.  I can find no ohms info on amp, but I'm thinking these should be in parallel.  Also any ideas what load  should be used with speaker extension jack?  Thanks!

joecool85

Wired in series would give you 16 ohms.  Does it look like original wiring?  I'm not sure about your amp, but most solid state amps I've seen use either 4 or 8 ohm setups.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

crystaltech56

St Louis Music (produces of Crate Series) still exists and I think the web site is www.StLouisMusic.com/ so I'll bet they have schematic/service manual available (maybe even free on the site). I know I have the warranty card for a small crate that I bought new in 1989 (never sent it in because I haven't had trouble), so if your search comes up empty let me know and I'll send you the address. Theire ownership may have changed hands(show me something that hasn't in the U.S. in 20 years), but I'll bet they still offer support. I know I have an MPC Guitar made by them in 1975 with a plug-in phaser and fuzz box(each the size of a pack of cigarrettes) and I was able to find the schematic for each of the web. CrystalTech56

J M Fahey

This is a shot in the dark, but without extra information I would guess that they should be wired in parallel (4 ohms). They *might* have been wired in series to allow using an extension box (perhaps 4 ohms) and yet not go very much below the acceptable impedance. Try it watching for signs of overheating.

teemuk

Excuse me, but all this talking and none of you checked out Crate's website...? It took me less than one minute to locate a "discontinued products" page and the manual for GFX-212T/120T that quotes the power rating, which is 120W @5% THD, 4-Ohms. I guess that pretty much settles it.

Edit: Oh yeah, everything hooked to the external speaker jack goes in series with the amp's internal speakers.

Jack1962

Teemuk is dead on  :tu:
I used to have 1 of them myself , they a paralleled

Rock On