Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:40:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

traynor amp repair

Started by junkman, June 08, 2008, 06:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkman

ive got a traynor reverb mate 40 that a friend brought to me to repair it has two tda 2030 amps for its power section, one was destroyed ( it looked like it had exploded) and the other one didnt work when i put it in another 2030 10 watt amp.  he got the amp from his cousin  along with a bass guitar that he had been playing through the amp. 
i am replacing the 2030s and i also am socketing all of the opamps in the preamp/chourus/reverb sections for purposes of experementation.  i wonder if anyone has any experience with such an amp and could offer any input, or comments. i am still reletively new at this stuff, i am self taught and still learning. i have built several stompboxes and 386 type amps but i am just getting into amplifiers so any help is welcome.

teemuk

junkman

junkman

im i right in thinking that playing a bass through this amp might have blown the 2030s, or should i check for something else?

junkman

i just got the traynor together and it works pretty good, its not very loud though, i can see why so many people in here advise against 2030 amps. still fun though and now i got a new amp.   ive got a few transformers laying around that are similar to the one in the traynor, i  also have a few more 2030s left over.  im going to try and build a similar amp/amps from scratch, ill let you know how it goes.  i love this site and i  look forward to learning more  from this excelent resourse

J M Fahey

Thanks for the link. Very useful. Many of them very oriental, very un-Traynorish. Some of them were made by "Blue Jean Duck" ("vely amelican name") from Taiwan, the makers of many Dean Markleys and quite probably many other "Cheap Line-Famous/Expensive Tag" amps. 2030s are not to be despised, they and their brothers are the backbone of *many* (if not most) practice/home guitar amps today. There is even an "Ampeg" (really a Crate/SLM product), the Rocket 50, that uses two bridged TDA2050 and a quite good 12" Eminence; the end result is quite good and *very* simple.

yustech

Quote from: teemuk on June 08, 2008, 06:49:35 PM
In case you don't have it yet...
http://www.traynoramps.com/downloads/servman/smtrayint.pdf
Thanks a lot.its a big help to a small time amp repairer such like me.. :)
http://yustech.blogspot.com/
That Tech & Tutor from greater KD