Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:56:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Headphone Amp

Started by scotteza, February 11, 2008, 04:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotteza

I'd like to build a small amp that basically lets me plug my guitar in one end, and a pair of headphones with a 3.5mm jack into the other, does anyone have a schematic for such a thing. I only need a clean channel for practising when everyone is asleep. I work as a .Net programmer, so my skill levels in electronics aren't particularly high, so I'd like to use this as a starter project.

Scott

joecool85

You can use the little gem or ruby as a headphone amp.  Both schematics are posted on this forum in the schematics section, as well as on runoffgroove.com

Welcome to the board  8|
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

teemuk

Something like Ruby or Little Gem will definitely work but the question is how good. As far as I'm familiar with those kinds of designs they are at their best when used in getting moderately or heavily overdriven tones through a decent guitar cabinet. They will be extremely clean with the small power levels involved in headphone amplification. However, much of "tone" will be lost due to extremely stripped preamp features such as lack of tone or overdrive controls. The sound you get through a simple device like this will also be way different than the sound equalized by a speaker cabinet. Usually rather horrid.

In my opinion, headphone guitar amps are pretty useless unless they pack a ton of features. In my opinion the best option for stuff like this is always a "fully-featured" amp/cabinet simulator i.e. SansAmp, Marshall DRP-1 or something along those lines. Many Multi-FX boxes will suffice as well. Therefore I would rather build a good "preamplifier" that has a cabinet simulator and other required features than a basic "headphone amplifier". The latter will prove to be a disappointment since you will soon find out that it really needs that preamp in front of it anyway. If the device by itself cannot drive headphones then just plug it into your HiFi stereo system – those generally have very good headphone amps.

joecool85

I've used my little gem as a headphone amp before and it did quite well.  On that same note, I'd much rather use it with a small speaker than have headphones on.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

ApexJr.

Want to give you guys a heads up on this Alesis switcher that can be
used as a headphone amp

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28889

Price on these are $15.00 each

Steve @ Apex Jr