Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 12:39:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Hartke A35 Repair problems

Started by Jesse, March 07, 2024, 10:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Greetings, I have been attempting to repair a Hartke A35 amplifier.
I am using a Variac, and an 8ohm Dummy Load during testing.
When I received the amp, Q8 and R51 were clearly damaged. I have replaced Q7, Q8, Q9, R50, R51, D13 & D14.
After replacing these parts I slowly powered it up again, this time causing Q4 to fail (a short from Emitter to Collector), and R97 is starting to burn up.
I then replaced Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, as well as C23, C61, & C64, (R42 measures ok).
Something is still drawing too much current through R97 and causing it to overheat. (R98 seems ok)
With R97 lifted I have + 33 & - 33 volts on the V+ & V-
Does anyone have any ideas of what else to check, or what could be wrong?
Thank you for any assistance!

-Jesse

g1

schematic attached.
Disconnect your load.  Check for DC voltage at the output.  Do not connect a load until you get the amp to the point where there is no longer any DC at the output.

Jesse

Jesse

At this point I have tested and/or replaced most components in the output section. With the input shorted, I am seeing about -1v DC at the output when the VARIAC is at about 45VAC.Any thoughts on where to look next for issues?

g1

If you do not have a load connected, continue increasing voltage from variac and monitoring DC at output.
It would help if you could monitor AC current from the variac as well, does the variac have a current meter?  Do you have a dim bulb tester?

Jesse

I am measuring current as well, so far it stays very low. I'll try upping the AC voltage today. I'm just worried about R97 burning up, or Q4 shorting again. What do you think I should look for next?
Also, what I am experiencing is almost identical to this post: https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=4235.msg42173#msg42173
Thanks again for the help :)