Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:52:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

transistor testing with a multimeter 7 Sept 2023

Started by saturated, September 07, 2023, 05:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturated

I decided to try and figure out what this TO-3 was....and if it was good

so a probing I went

You cannot view this attachment.

and here is the device under test  :P

You cannot view this attachment.

I kinda want to look it up and see if i am right....

but i will wait

::)

so I am previewing this looking back at my data thinking maybe those reverse bias? readings look kinda low.....oh well too late to chicken out now

i say
-its a PNP and its good (no shorts)

:P  ::)
I ask stupid questions
and make stupid mistakes

criticism, critique, derision, flaming, verbal abuse welcome

Tassieviking

Sorry, no prize for this one.
It is a 5V voltage regulator that can handle just over 1 amp.
Sometimes it's better to look the component up first, actually I would do that most of the time.
Give yourself a clip over the ear this time.(You remember better if someone gives you a clip over the ear when you are wrong) :)

Cheers
Michael
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

saturated

yes sir just looked it up....

there is a schematic for the inside...transistors...diodes...zeners...resistors...

nm

:'(

but thats cool i had wondered if some transistors are simply called voltage regulators....like the one we put in my Peavey Audition Chorus because they have three legs and look like transistors.

so the answer is

NO THEY ARE NOT

:)
I ask stupid questions
and make stupid mistakes

criticism, critique, derision, flaming, verbal abuse welcome

Tassieviking

I would describe the voltage regulators as an "IC", just a regular IC with 3 legs.
IC = integrated circuit meaning the chip contains an assortment of parts that perform a function.
There are many components that are contained in the same shape as regular transistors, you can get anything from resistors, diodes up to more complex circuits all inside a regular sized component shell.

There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

mandu

Quote from: saturated on September 07, 2023, 02:58:08 PMyes sir just looked it up....

there is a schematic for the inside...transistors...diodes...zeners...resistors...
nm
:'(
but thats cool i had wondered if some transistors are simply called voltage regulators....like the one we put in my Peavey Audition Chorus because they have three legs and look like transistors.
so the answer is
NO THEY ARE NOT
:)

Your reply is funny.

g1

It should be pointed out that you may find voltage regulator circuits that use regular transistors as the pass transistor.
This is seen in older equipment from when the VR IC's were not yet available (ex. Yamaha G50-112II +/-15V supplies).