Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Acoustic Guitar Combo Amp-1st Project

Started by jambre, April 26, 2006, 06:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jambre

I'm looking for a combo amp I can build for my acoustic-doesn't have to be spectacular, but I'd like to use a two-way (Woofer, Tweeter, and X-ver) speaker in the cab-I have some basic electronics knowledge, I can solder and I have access to woodworking equip, so I can build my own cabinet-Any suggestions?

RDV

Design and build your cabinet 1st I say. Just leave a good sized place for your electronics. A transformer needs some room as to not be too close to your other components. A good way to go for something like this would be to biamp. An example would be using an LM3886/LM1875 combo along with an active crossover.

RDV

joecool85

Yeah, an lm3886 (50w) for the lows because they take more juice and the lm1875 (20w) for the highs.  How much power did you need/want?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

jambre

As far as power goes, I'll be using the amp at home and church (...It was only driven by a little old acoustic to and from church...)-power isn't a priority, but I'd like clean sound-

RDV

For clean headroom, power is how you achieve it, but 70 true watts will make a nice acoustic amp with careful speaker choices.

RDV

jambre

First, thanks for the replies-

Now for the questions:

1) Is there a schematic for the LM3886/LM1875 with the X-over, preamp, etc.?

This is great-

Jim B

joecool85

The easiest way to do it would be to order PCB kits from Brian for both the lm3886 and lm1875 (the lm1875 is a prototype, but he will normally give them out anyway), as far as the preamp goes you could do a couple things including: build your own preamp, line out from an existing guitar amp, or buy a preamp like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Signal/Processors?sku=182482
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

teemuk

One thing you should also consider is that acoustic amps are usually equipped with some kind of an "anti-feedbacking" circuit. Those hollow-body guitars tend to get really crazy when you stand too close to an amp - even at very low volumes.

RDV

That Behringer preamp would work well as an acoustic preamp as long as the guitar has a decent EQ built in. If not, a graphic EQ might work well.

RDV

RDV

Quote from: teemuk on April 26, 2006, 02:49:28 PM
One thing you should also consider is that acoustic amps are usually equipped with some kind of an "anti-feedbacking" circuit. Those hollow-body guitars tend to get really crazy when you stand too close to an amp - even at very low volumes.
Not so bad with one of those rubber things in the soundhole. This is where a good graphic would shine. The more bands the better to pinpoint the FB frequency.

RDV