Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:42:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

2 footswitchable channels

Started by iTzALLgoOD, April 15, 2007, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iTzALLgoOD

Hello everyone.  This is my first post here.  I have already successfully built a one channel tube amp with good results.  Now I wanted to try a 2 channel (1 clean 1 dirty) SS guitar amp with a footswitch probably around 50 watts.  I think I will use the lm3886 power amp from chipamp.com but what about the preamp?  All i've come across is 1 channel fairly simple tonestacked preamps.  Any recomendations?  Thank for your help in advance.

joecool85

The preamp is something that is still pretty much in preliminary stages here, but what I can recommend is using two clean preamps, then make them switchable.  Take one of the clean ones and run a distortion infront of it (built into the circuit), it's easy since many distortions are only a few components.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

iTzALLgoOD

I have already built a Little Gem as well.  There's a post about using those for preamps.  So I could build 2 of those circuits and put one of my favorite OD or distortions in front of one of them?

It always sounds easy doesn't it. :)

joecool85

No one (that I know of) has used a little gem for a preamp permanently, but I have played with mine like that and it worked quite well.  So yes, that would work.  You could even have one little gem circuit with a pot on the gain so that would control how dirty it is.
thatraymond.com

iTzALLgoOD

So many options ans so little money

joecool85

Quote from: iTzALLgoOD on April 15, 2007, 04:54:06 PM
So many options ans so little money

haha, bingo.  btw, Brian (chipamp.com) is looking for people to beta test his LM1875 kits right now.
thatraymond.com

iTzALLgoOD

I'm still very new to all of this electronics stuff so I'm probably not the best candidate for testing anything.  I feel good if nothing smokes on the first power up. :D

joecool85

Thats not necessarily going to be an issue, he needs new people to test them as well to make sure they go together easily.  If you are interested, shoot him an email and tell him you are an SSGuitar.com member and are interested in beta testing one of his LM1875 kits.  He should be able to hook you up with a kit for nothing, or really cheap.
thatraymond.com

iTzALLgoOD

Thanks for the info.  I sent an e-mail today.