Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Anyone remember TSM Kits?

Started by galaxiex, June 21, 2015, 10:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galaxiex

I was rummaging through some old forgotten stuff and came across this old TSM Electronic kit.
I think I bought this at a surplus store some ages ago.
The instructions did not have a schematic, so I traced the board.
I "think" I got it right.

Near as I can tell, the input transistor buffers the signal to the LM386 which drives the "tank".. (and isn't that tank a cute little thing.  ;) )
The tank measures approx 10cm X 2.5cm. It's like a tiny version of a real reverb tank with tiny coils and magnets and springs.
One of the springs is slightly heavier/thicker wire.

Looks like the recovery amp Q2 sends the wet signal to the resistive mixing network and P2 appears to be a "blend" control.

Can anyone see any possible errors in the schematic? Any insights on how well this might work?

I suppose I could solder it up and try it....  ::)

Any obvious areas for improvement?  I'm sure it is Lo-Fi at best though...  :lmao:
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

J M Fahey

Yes, looks very reasonable, thanks for posting :)

Build it, and I guess it will sound very well driving a large tank, of suitable impedance of course.

The tank is labelled Monacor but RE21, so I guess it's a Japanese "Piezo" brand.

They were popular in Japanese amps in the 70's but I guess Accutronics sued them, because they mysteriously disappeared.

galaxiex

Thanks JM,
I googled Monacor and they seem to be a French company with high end speakers and such. Or at least UK based.

I'm not sure if this kit is Japanese tho...

The package has decidedly French spelling of "Kit Electronique".

Anyway I'll build it and see how it works.
Cheers!
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

J M Fahey

The kit is French or whatever, no doubt, I refer to the tank itself, not the first (or last)  time a Company has some product OEM made and sell it under the house brand.

Unless I'm mistaken and Fender labelled tubes are actually made in California or Arizona ;)

That said, I actually used Japanese "RE21" tanks in the late 70s or early 80s, and they looked exactly the same, and they were often found in smaller Ibanez and Roland amps, that's why I commented :)

Loudthud

Are you sure that is a piezo tank? The second pic shows what seem to be coil bobbins hanging off the bottom at each end.

J M Fahey

PIEZO is a japanese reverb tank brand, go figure  :loco
Quite popular some 30 years ago; I guess Accutronics sued them off.