Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 02:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Getting shocked, need help

Started by Mazlanka24, November 06, 2013, 11:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mazlanka24

So with my current setup, I keep getting shocked when I add power to my foot pedals. I think the issue may be with the grounding of my amp.  This is a picture of my setup,

http://i.imgur.com/9UMaJBe.jpg?1

I have a Roland cube 40XL -----> Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive ---> MXR Distortion + ---> a fender American strat.

I power my pedal with a Visual Sound 1 spot. I only get shocked when I attach the Visual Sound power cable to the pedals, even when the pedals are turned off!

I don't think its the guitar because I have 2 different guitars (one brand new) and it happens to both.

I don't think its the pedals, I sent the sparkle drive back for repair because I thought that the pedal was the problem. They sent it back to me and I bought a new pedal and it happens with that one too.

It could be the grounding in my house, but I have plugged this into my friends place and it happens there too. I plan on buying a tester and testing the grounding to the house. The only other thing I think it may be may be the Amp. My amp has a two prong plug.
If anyone could please help me or point me in the right direction or even rule out anything, it would be much appreciated. I just want to use my pedals!

DrGonz78

Well first off that amp should have a ground plug and it must be missing. The power plugs you are using for the effect pedals are 2-prong as well, right? So you have the highest potential for being the ground object. I think if you were to repair the that cable and attach a 3-prong replacement plug, then all these problems would go away. Sure it always can be a faulty ground at either home, but not when you have a floating chassis situation in the amp. You can also use a voltmeter to safely test if there is voltage present on the cables or jacks of the pedals.

READ THIS TOO...
http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/safety/shockhazard.cfm
ESPECIALLY THIS PART
" Whenever audio equipment is operated without a ground (floating chassis), strange things can happen. Under certain conditions the amplifier will be more susceptible to radio frequency interference (picking up radio stations or CB. radio). Also, without a suitable ground, amplifiers sometimes "hum" more when the musician picks up his instrument and provides a "pseudo" ground through himself. Both of these problems are, of course, very annoying. The only solution is to find a ground point to connect to the chassis, such as a water pipe. Sometimes this may just cause more problems, when what appears to be ground turns out not to be!

One of the problems with appliances and equipment which have a "floating metal case" is that a shock hazard exists if the case comes into contact with the hot wire. This so called "fault condition" may happen in many ways with some of the more common causes being a "pinched" line cord, failure of installation systems, or movement of components due to shock or vibration which will cause the "hot wire" terminal to touch the case. Naturally, if for any reason the case does become "live," then a person touching it may be shocked if he is grounded. If this "hot chassis" is connected to another chassis or instrument by a typical shielded cord, then that chassis or instrument will become hot also. The entire purpose of the present three wire system is to provide a separate ground path which will effectively eliminate any possibility of shock."

Note: That I am not saying that you have a fault or that a "hot wire" is touching the case. I am saying that reattaching a ground reference to the amp will reduce the risk of electrical shocks from your pedals. Best regards and do this ASAP because it is better safe than sorry.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

J M Fahey

Agree and add: besides grounding your Amplifier, you *still* have a problem with your Visual Sound Power Supply.

Get a neon electrician's screwdriver, plug the Visual 1 on the outlet or extension, and touch the screwdriver tip to the PS plug metallic barrel.
*IF* it lights, SEND BACK THAT PSU AT ONCE , that is UNACCEPTABLE.

Secondary (9v) in a Switching PSU is "floating", absolutely insulated from anything else.

If not, that's a gross defect, at least get another, properly working one (carry your screwdriver and test it at the shop), worst case get a refund.