Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:17:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

LM1875 chipamps, any feedback?

Started by joecool85, October 17, 2006, 03:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

How do you guys like your LM1875 kits?  We spread out quite a few kits, it would be nice to know how well they are working.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Bob N

My kit went together very well and has been performing solid ever since. The documetation was pretty good but could use more information on power supplies and how to wire them up, but outside of that, was a very solid kit and I would do again a million times over..... The kit is an outstanding value for the performance it provides....

joecool85

What are you using for a preamp?  And are you using this for guitar as I would assume?
thatraymond.com

Bob N

I am using a multi switch to control 4 different SS JFet preamp stages: 18 Watt, JCM800, Thunderchief, and the DR Boogie. All of this fits into my old, nasty Crate GX-15 chassis and quite honestly, saved it from a horrible death as I couldn't stand the way it sounded out of the factory. Now I actually enjoy putzing around on it with so many different sounds. The little 20 watt LM1875 does a pretty good job of torturing the 8" factory speaker the amp originally came with. Yes, this is all for guitar, and I still have another 20 watt amp to figure out what I'm going to do with...

joecool85

Awesome!  Do you have any sound clips/pics?  Sounds like you've made yourself quite the amp.  It's good to know that those LM1875 kits are going to good use.   8)
thatraymond.com

Bob N

Sorry for the slow response.... Been working a ton at the job and been working out a problem on my Firefly (.75w tube amp)....

No clips yet and still tying up all the loose ends before submitting my work for critique. you WILL see pics and Hear clips when I tie it all up though...

joecool85

Awesome.  No worries about taking a little while to respond, so far you are the only one out of 6 people that got the kits that has even posted about it.
thatraymond.com

turbolx5oh

Any more kits available?

Quote from: joecool85 on October 22, 2006, 08:02:20 AM
Awesome!  Do you have any sound clips/pics?  Sounds like you've made yourself quite the amp.  It's good to know that those LM1875 kits are going to good use.   8)
How did you wire the power supply up on your preamps?

joecool85

I don't have any preamps built into any of my chipamps, I use separate preamp boxes or no preamp.
thatraymond.com

Bob N

Quote from: turbolx5oh on October 31, 2006, 08:26:31 AM

How did you wire the power supply up on your preamps?

I've got my schematic back at the house. I'll see if I can dig it up for you, BUT I built my own power supply based off of the Bi-Polar Power Supply project at General Guitar Gadgets... (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=191&Itemid=216)

I've used this one before in many other projects and it works great. I used this one because of my familiarity with it as well as having a few problems with the one that was provided. My problems with the factory power supply could very easily have been me, so take it with a grain of salt, but I know the one I used very well. All in all, it's quite a punchy little amp in a super small form factor that was extremely easy to build.

My question is are we gonna sell 'em here??? I've got a few more uses for them and just want to know where I will be getting them...

syndromet

Hi.
I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to give feedback or contribute (...as if I ever have :o) to this wonderfull comunity lately. I'm in the midle of a move, started a new job, and spend the rest of the time with my girlfriend and my baby daughter. There haven't been a lot of soldering lately, in other words.

I thought, however, that I should behave decent enough to let you know how my LE 1875 is coming along. The boards are soldered, and they look great. I also found a great enclousure, but it turned out that the inside of this bow is to small for most of the common transformers. I had one transformer that fitted perfectly, but it turned out to be broken.

That means that my amp is still in parts, and i haven't had the chance to try it yet. Right now I'm waiting for a new, bigger enclosure to be made, and I'll order a new transformer when I get my first payment. I'll let you know how it turns out when its finnished.

Ofcource I couldn't stay away from the soldering-iron, so i have built myself a little gem since the last time I posted here. It sounds great, and I highly recomend it if you want a battery powered mini amp. It sounds way better than the Fetzer-Ruby I built some time ago. I'll post pictures of the little gem in a few days.

joecool85

Thanks for the feedback!  It's ok that you are busy, I was wondering where you had been at though, thanks for checking in.  I'll be looking forward to when you get it together.
thatraymond.com