Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:02:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Yamaha G100 amp

Started by Frank, May 29, 2011, 06:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardM

Quote from: probodger on March 08, 2012, 05:59:17 AM
CAn't remeber what the power switching on the rear of mine is, but its something like 110/210/230volts I think.

Another mystery to me is why does mine have a different style knob to any other G100 212 II I've seen, I guess it's possible somone may ahve changed them in the past.

No power switch on mine. 240Volt only.

You have nice knobs though.  8|
Richard _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

"Sorry for the Inconvenience."   

joecool85

Quote from: probodger on March 08, 2012, 07:42:16 AM
Ok better way of posing the question would be, what size are the cators for anyone who has a G100? As they are the pop-out type, so if I can get some that will retrofit then life will be easy.
I don't really fancy redrilling the old box unless I have too.

Pull one off, bring it to the hardware store, match it and buy four.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

probodger

Quote from: joecool85 on March 08, 2012, 08:38:34 AM
Quote from: probodger on March 08, 2012, 07:42:16 AM
Ok better way of posing the question would be, what size are the cators for anyone who has a G100? As they are the pop-out type, so if I can get some that will retrofit then life will be easy.
I don't really fancy redrilling the old box unless I have too.

Thats my issue, I have zero  :)

I need to replace all four.

and not lugging this heavy beast to the store to match things up  :P

joecool85

Quote from: probodger on March 08, 2012, 08:42:04 AM
Quote from: joecool85 on March 08, 2012, 08:38:34 AM

Thats my issue, I have zero  :)

I need to repalce all four.

Best bet then is to bring the whole amp into the hardware store and have them help you pick something out that will fit.  Still shouldn't be too hard.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

parker_knoll

Quote from: Frank on May 29, 2011, 06:06:17 AM
The reverb on this particular head is very weak. Must be some failing components, as I remember the G50 had a loud clean reverb. I wonder if there are design differences between the models in this series that can explain the difference in sound between G50 and G100? It certainly sounds better. 

You'll find the reverb gets much bigger if you turn on the distortion circuit. You can just put it on 1 so it doesn't distort at all, but you'll hear a much bigger reverb instantly.

J M Fahey

Dear probodger:
If you lift that heavy amp *once* to carry it to the hardware store, that's the last time you'll lift it "raw"
If you don't, you'll go through that chore anyway, many times.
What's best ? ;)

tomom

Hi, I'm new here, recently got Yamaha G100B-212 from a flee market. Needs fixing, and there is plastic plate missing on the back that tells what are different in/out jacks..Could someone post close-up picture of back side of that section on G100B-212? Thanks, Tomo...

Mickeydam

I was fortunate to score a G100-115 II last month on CL.  The former owner used to play keys through it and sold it to me for $80.  I'd read some good things about the amp before, but I was pretty blown away by how nice it sounded once I got it home.  Lovely clean sounds, especially with my Tele.  I need to de-ox the pots, but is there anything else I should have a look at while I have it open?

Roly

$80 sounds like a good score alright.

While you are inside cleaning the pots you should first give it a good general going over with a soft brush (and maybe a vac depending on how much crud is inside).  While you are doing this cleaning visually inspect the board and components for any signs of damage, or distress such as overheating (scorch).

All the sockets, front and rear, should also get the treatment.  I don't use a specific de-ox but fresh metho, and doubled-over pipe cleaners with a plastic twill for socket barrels.  Particularly important are the bridging contacts on the Fx loop Send and Return, or Pre Out/Main In, where fitted.

HTH
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Roots13

Hello. Newbie here, so am late to the party.
I have just bought a G100 212ii. Does anyone no where I can get a schematic/ Manual? I have scoured the net but to no avail.
Bye for now

DrGonz78

This is probably one of the best service manuals you can find online for free. Yamaha has great service info detail.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Roly

Thanks Doc, yer a brick.
  :dbtu:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Thepaul

So I just got a g100 210 off a guy on Craigslist. I try it out, it sounds amazing, very clean, loads of headroom, majestic reverb, and never distorts no matter how loud it is. Then I take it home plug it and it starts shorting out, can barely hear the reverb, distorts as soon as I hit the strings on the clean channel. It's like this guy had a timer on it as to when it would sound good. Anyway, I'm guessing it needs some rewiring or something? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Enzo

Hi

First I suggest you start a new thread for your amp.  You will get a lot better response than tacking onto the end of a thread that was dead over a year ago.

Most likely there is a loose connection or failed solder joint inside.

Turn the reverb down, then ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp.  Does the sound try to come back, even for a moment?