Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:31:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

RANDALL RH200SC SIGNAL/VOLUME LOSS

Started by hellomydog, February 03, 2011, 03:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellomydog

Hi.

I own a 200w Randall RH200SC which seems to be exhibiting a few problems. The volume cuts out every time I play it and this will *generally* get better after 60-90 minutes of high volume playing. If playing at lower volumes the amp is virtually unusable. It's a solid state and I thought if I dismantled the case and took it apart I could see a bad solder joint or loose connection, however everything seems to be tight and clean. I would prefer to get the problem fixed myself and not send it off to pay $200 bucks for something I could fix myself. So does anyone know what I'm talking about and/or have any advice? Thanks!!!

joecool85

If while playing your guitar you turn the volume up and down on the amp does the sound go gradually up and down as it should or does it flick on and off?  It could be a faulty volume pot, they do wear out with time.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

hellomydog

It's not the volume as much as it is the signal. I just took the head apart and checked the inside. Everything seemed okay. I plugged in and started playing. It cut out immediately. I then flipped the head upside down to have a look at the circuits and the sound came back. Turned it right side up and it cut out again. I have since been playing it upside down with no problems so far. Why does it work upside down?

This is not a permanent fix however, and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

J M Fahey

110% mechanical problem !!
Move , wiggle and tap *everything" in sight with a chinese stick , plastic ball pen body, etc.
Move all wires, etc.
Pust all jack contacts.
In some moment sound will come and go at will.
Look carefully to the board track side.
Good light, good glasses or a loupe will show you the problem.
Well, that's about it.

joecool85

JM is right, if it plays upside down it has to be a mechanical problem.  IE- loose jack/wire/bad solder somewhere etc.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com