Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 09:40:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Dean Markley DMC80 Questions

Started by PoorOtis, February 10, 2014, 10:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorOtis

I picked up a vintage dmc80 2x10 ss amp..I like the cleans the amp produces.
I have 2 questions..hope someone can help me out(since I know nothing about the amp)

Is the amp a Stereo Guitar amp..??
On the rear of the amp their is a "Drive Voicing Module" eight button switch. It says its designed to
change the voicing of this amp to suit the players taste. Is this true? Does it really work, or was
it just something to boost sales of the product?

Thanks.

g1

It is a stereo chorus amp.  The voicing switches should make a difference, maybe not huge though.  Some of the amps had a programmable voicing module.
  The owners manual, and voicing program are available on this page:
http://www.deanmarkley.com/Info/LegacyAmps/Docs.shtml

joecool85

Wow, I've never heard of that.  Sounds like it could be really interesting.  At a minimum it should be a loud amp @ 100w 2x10".
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

PoorOtis

Thanks G1 and Joe Cool for the info! It looks like I have to play with the Drive Voicing Module
to get it dialed into my type of music. It has a 1/4 plug for a footswitch..but..I can't seem
to find out if DM made a footswitch to go along with their amps? Kinda Strange!
Thank You Both..
PoorOtis

J M Fahey

DVM is a fancy name for a *VERY*  simple concept.

Diiode clipping is known for being on the harsh side of things, so it's common practice putting a cap in oparallel with thge duodes, to soften things out.

Example: MXR Dist+ places a ceramic .001uF in paerallel with them.
But one man's medicine is often another man's poison.

So DM invented DVM which means a miniature DIP bank of switches, each one able to connect a small cap in parallel.

So having 8 switches *in theory* gives 256 possible values, although differences are subtle.
From all OFF to all ON you can go from buzzy biting to muffled mud ; hopefully some intermediate setting will be best for you.

Cool, just don't expect MAGIC and you'll be fine :)

joecool85

Thanks for the explanation, I hadn't even heard of this before.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

PoorOtis

Thank You Juan..that info is very useful for me! I was not sure if it really worked or not..
considering the age of the amp! Never heard of that before...!
Thank You.