Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Crate G130CXL

Started by RSA, June 07, 2009, 07:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSA

This is my first post at SSguitar and I am happy to have found it! I have a Crate G130CXL and have had it for many years and it WORKED just fine. I had not been playing due to a move blah blah and it sat in my basement for about a year, I finally got the time and and wanted to play but when I hooked it all up I only had 1/4 of the volume that I used to get. I tried all of the basics, plugs, cords, eveything. I did as a last resort run the line out to my pa system to see if that would help and I got normal volume out of it. Can ANYONE please help? I appreciate it all Thanks!

I have it apart does anyone have a schematic for this one?

I failed to mention that I have tried it on both channels with the same result...RSA

Enzo

As on any amp, the effects return jacks and the power amp in jacks, and insert jacks all have cutout contacts that interrupt hte signal path.  When you are NOT using these features, those conatcs must close to carry the signal past the jack.  If those contacts get dirty, the signal gets blocked or attenuated.  Clean the cutout contacts on any such jacks in your amp.

RSA

Thank you for the tip Enzo but it unfortunately did not fix it...I am stuck...Does anyone have another idea? I hate to send it to a repair shop because it probably isn't worth fixing. I really loved the way it sounded, it got me by HUNDREDS of times, I kinda got attached to it. I appreciate any suggestions and will give them a try! RSA

Enzo

Well that was just a simple thought.

Just to verify - plug a guitar cord from FX send right back to FX return.  Does that restore the sound?  If there is a pair of jacks marked preamp out/power amp in, try the same thing there.

Failing any of those, flip the main board over and carefully inspect the solder.  IN particular anything large like those 5 or 10 watt rectangular cement power resistors, but also all the jacks and all the controls.  Ir just reflow all thos ejoints and be done with it.  Various of those connections can result in your symptom.

Your line out worked, so apply a test signal to the power amp in or the FX return, wherever you can to test the circuit after the point of line out.  Does the power amp alone exhibit the symptom?