Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:57:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

SSGUITAR success storie(s)

Started by saturated, May 03, 2023, 02:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturated

the guys at SSGuitar fixed my Peavey amp.  I bought it from a place where it had been collecting dust for probably decades.  I brought it home and it worked good but would cut out (go silent) sometimes coming back on and sometimes not.  I figured it was a sketchy input jack or some crusty old connection having problems.
It was frustrating but the sound was so killer \m/ i loved using it and putting up with it.
eventually it went silent and remained silent.  I read and watched lots of stuff about the effects loop and headphone jack etc to no avail.
I joined this place and the guys jumped right in to help.  they asked me different questions and asked me to check different things.
eventually they focused on a voltage measurement that didnt make sense and upon their recommendation I ordered the inexpensive component and replaced it.
and the amp now works...and sounds awesome.
no high tech tools were used.  just a multimeter, soldering iron, solder, desoldering wick and some hand tools.
it was kinda tricky getting the board out and inverted to work on it...and honestly when I soldered the new part in I was more nervous than someone doing brain surgery.
 :)
but it was a success and I want to shout out to the members here thanks for all of your help.

:)
I ask stupid questions
and make stupid mistakes

criticism, critique, derision, flaming, verbal abuse welcome

saturated

the new part that was installed (the big thing with a ground tab and hole in the middle)

You cannot view this attachment.
I ask stupid questions
and make stupid mistakes

saturated

I went back and read most of the posts in this section going back to 2009 and stuff.  lots of success stories.

I enjoyed reading the unselfish contributions of the heavy hitters here and wonder where some of them are if they have moved on or passed on R.I.P.  :-[

anyhow its a gold mine of technical info and entertaining as well.

my hat is off to those with the knowledge and experience helping out in all of those threads, asking nothing in return.

I ask stupid questions
and make stupid mistakes

joecool85

Quote from: saturated on May 04, 2023, 12:19:19 PMI went back and read most of the posts in this section going back to 2009 and stuff.  lots of success stories.

I enjoyed reading the unselfish contributions of the heavy hitters here and wonder where some of them are if they have moved on or passed on R.I.P.  :-[

anyhow its a gold mine of technical info and entertaining as well.

my hat is off to those with the knowledge and experience helping out in all of those threads, asking nothing in return.

Some members have digitally moved on, spending time on other forums etc, while you are correct that a few have passed on in the real world.  We've been here long enough to experience so pretty amazing things, as well as lose some amazing people.  I'm grateful that I've been able to keep this community going all these years.

Thank you for joining, and thank you for sharing your experience!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com