Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:04:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

I just found THE web page for phatt.

Started by Kaz Kylheku, July 28, 2011, 03:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatt

Hi Kaz,
      Thank-you for the interest, No I've not read his work and also I'm not about to re-read what has been said by thousands of other experts.

I've done quite a lot of experiments with such things and IMHO it's an insanely complex way to explain
*plain old Tone shaping*.

Any peaks and troughs in the outcome might even get exotic labels like resonance
but no one needs to suffer the mindless babble. Give it any name you so wish, But for those that wish to bypass 4 years of maths lessons, just ask what it actually does do? 0:)

Oh it alters the TONE.  :loco
ARRH,, So for all it's vast complexity it's only going to end up altering the tone response.
Sorry but there are much easier ways to skin the Tone Cat

Here's one I brewed up in recent times. *No current drive*.
In fact the Amp is not even a guitar Amp as such.
All of this is preamp circuitry.

Same Setup as the PhAbb ReAmp system except this time *NoValve power stage* just using the *Valve boosted PhAbbTone* into the *DDC* then a *para EQ*.

ED; 4 those interested,,all schematics can be found on these pages.
Have fun, Phil.

J M Fahey

Hi khaz.
Thanks for the link.
That book has already been discussed, now I don't remember whether it was here or in some other Forum I visit often.
Not bad info, only that they stretch it a little too much, from what can be fully said in a page, to a full book.
Oh well.
It does have a couple advantages, *including* some tone shaping, although for me it's *far* more important that it provides some crude form of short circuit protection.
All the fuss as it being "the natural way to drive speakers" is stretching the truth a little bit too much, although, as I said, it does have *some* basis.
Good luck and thanks again.