Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

BDV67D equivalent or source?

Started by japBLONK, March 02, 2016, 06:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japBLONK

It seems as though this is a "Transistor Darlington NPN 150V 16A 200W" according to google.
I'm looking for a replacement (reassigning the pin-out isn't a problem) if anyone knows one?

This is for a Yorkville 150B whose speaker cord shorted out while playing.

Thanks guys!

japBLONK

Would digikey 2SD2560-ND be suitable?

g1

Yorkville switched to MJH11017 & MJH11018 in some of these models, that would be the best sub.
However, you should contact them and ask.  In the higher power amps like the 150, it may not work.  The spec of the original BDV66 was changed and subs for the later type can be trouble.  They actually had a mod to add an extra output device when repairing certain models that used the BDV66 & 67.  Don't recall if it was the 150B, 250B, or both?
Best to contact them, or gamble and keep your 66's and use the MJH11018 for the 67's.

japBLONK

Quote from: g1 on March 03, 2016, 12:04:41 PM
Yorkville switched to MJH11017 & MJH11018 in some of these models, that would be the best sub.
However, you should contact them and ask.  In the higher power amps like the 150, it may not work.  The spec of the original BDV66 was changed and subs for the later type can be trouble.  They actually had a mod to add an extra output device when repairing certain models that used the BDV66 & 67.  Don't recall if it was the 150B, 250B, or both?
Best to contact them, or gamble and keep your 66's and use the MJH11018 for the 67's.

Just got off the phone with Yorkville, and they indeed recommended swapping out for MJH11017 & MJH11018. Looking at Digikey, they only have the MJH11017 available. For complementary pairs, they have the MJH11019 and MJH11020 available. Specs seem to say the only difference is a 200V "Collector Emitter Breakdown" VS 150V for the 17/18. Would this be a suitable substitute or should I be looking for something else?

J M Fahey

1) how much power/ohms is the amp rated?
"150" might just be w model "number".
2) actual rails voltage?
3) actual speaker ohms it's driving now?

my questions come from: Yorkville usually over specifies everything (fine  :tu: )  but you might use just, say, a TIP142/147 pair

Or they wan ted to meke with just 2 transistors (hence "use the best")  what actually can be done with 4 lesser ones.

I might consider converting a 2 x 150W transistors amp to a 4 lesser but easier to find ones any day of the week.
Specially because I'm 6000 miles away so try to use whatever's available locally, even EBay becomes expensive and complicated.

By all means, first try to find the original (or official replacement)  ones, but if not, don't junk that amp, "there's many ways to skin a cat".

A picture showing heat sinks and power amp PCB might be useful.

Plan B: you can kludge an unavailable Darlington out of 2 separate transistors: a beefy power one and a smaller driver one, piggybacked on it, have done that many times.

japBLONK

Quote from: J M Fahey on March 03, 2016, 05:59:06 PM
1) how much power/ohms is the amp rated?
"150" might just be w model "number".
2) actual rails voltage?
3) actual speaker ohms it's driving now?

The amp is rated for 150W on the rear, rail voltages are +/- 45V and the internal speaker is 8 ohms.

J M Fahey

QuoteThe amp is rated for 150W on the rear, rail voltages are +/- 45V and the internal speaker is 8 ohms.
Thanks  :)

+/-45V rails allow for 100W@8 ohms and 150W@4 ohms.

A couple TIPs (which I hoped  might fit) definitely are not enough so it looks you'll have to get the suggestedvreplacements.
Good luck.

If there is NO WAY to get them, at any price, then you may kludge a replacement but not before turning all stones.

As usual, forget EBay, buy either reputable supplier or improvise (with good parts, of course).

japBLONK

Quote from: J M Fahey on March 03, 2016, 11:16:35 PM
QuoteThe amp is rated for 150W on the rear, rail voltages are +/- 45V and the internal speaker is 8 ohms.
Thanks  :)

+/-45V rails allow for 100W@8 ohms and 150W@4 ohms.

A couple TIPs (which I hoped  might fit) definitely are not enough so it looks you'll have to get the suggestedvreplacements.
Good luck.

If there is NO WAY to get them, at any price, then you may kludge a replacement but not before turning all stones.

As usual, forget EBay, buy either reputable supplier or improvise (with good parts, of course).

Thanks J M, what about MJH11019 and MJH11020 ?

J M Fahey

Well, they are *improved* (same specs higher voltage) brothers of suggested replacements, so what's not to like?

Personally pulling 150W RMS out of 2 plastic packages gives me the creeps, but if they are happy with that, who am I to disagree?

If possible post a couple pictures showing guts, power PCB and heatsink(s) , I guess they must be quite good to keep them safely cool.

g1

If memory serves, there are a total of 4 output transistors in this amp?
If you can get the MJH11019 & 20 that should be good.