Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

DryBell releases "The Engine" - $299 preamp pedal

Started by joecool85, June 04, 2020, 01:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

DryBell has announced it's newest pedal, The Engine.  Selling for $299, this is a preamp pedal "for all those that love 1960's style non-master volume amps."  The concept sounds good, and the clips sound pretty good.  But it seems a convoluted way to get the sounds they are shooting for.  There are two preamps on board, A and B.  You can control either one, or put them together with A or B coming first in the signal chain.  They both have tone controls but not your typical TMB stack.  Preamp A has Level, Gain, Tone, and Shape.  Preamp B has Level, Range, Low, and High.

Perfect?  Too complicated?  What's your take?

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/drybell-the-engine/
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

I quote the vid at 7.18

"So there you have it folks the Engine truely evokes the feel and tone of those classic Amps."

Meanwhile using a REAL JMP 50Watt Marshall. Durh???? what a load of crap :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Which is much the same as promoting A Boss fender 64 reverb pedal sounding like a real 64 reverb Amp.
And demonstrating it through a,,, real 64 Fender amp.
Yeah right,,,,, And I can make a  banana flavor taste like a real banana just buy using a real banana.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This crap goes on all the time on these pedal demos,,
The REAL ACID test is how good some wizz bag pedal pulls off great tone through a small bedroom amp. 8|

Don't get me wrong the pedal sounds good but at least test it through some basic amps as well as through the obvious Big name Valve gear.
That would give punters a much more realistic impression of how well the pedal will suit their setup.
For every Big name Valve amp Owner there would be 10~100 times more basic amp owners out there.
Which equates to far greater profit if they had a even half a brain. :loco

For those that don't know, the touch response mentioned in the vid has more to do with the Valve amps used than the pedal.
The Sustain at 1.24 is simply the Valve amp feed back which has little to do with the pedal. Any basic pedal with boost up will cause a valve amp to feedback like that.
Again this has little to do with how good the pedal works. The wank factor is in a lot of these demos and it's time the young ones woke up to the hype.
Rant over,, Phil.

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on June 05, 2020, 03:27:36 AM
I quote the vid at 7.18

"So there you have it folks the Engine truely evokes the feel and tone of those classic Amps."

Meanwhile using a REAL JMP 50Watt Marshall. Durh???? what a load of crap :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Which is much the same as promoting A Boss fender 64 reverb pedal sounding like a real 64 reverb Amp.
And demonstrating it through a,,, real 64 Fender amp.
Yeah right,,,,, And I can make a  banana flavor taste like a real banana just buy using a real banana.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This crap goes on all the time on these pedal demos,,
The REAL ACID test is how good some wizz bag pedal pulls off great tone through a small bedroom amp. 8|

Don't get me wrong the pedal sounds good but at least test it through some basic amps as well as through the obvious Big name Valve gear.
That would give punters a much more realistic impression of how well the pedal will suit their setup.
For every Big name Valve amp Owner there would be 10~100 times more basic amp owners out there.
Which equates to far greater profit if they had a even half a brain. :loco

For those that don't know, the touch response mentioned in the vid has more to do with the Valve amps used than the pedal.
The Sustain at 1.24 is simply the Valve amp feed back which has little to do with the pedal. Any basic pedal with boost up will cause a valve amp to feedback like that.
Again this has little to do with how good the pedal works. The wank factor is in a lot of these demos and it's time the young ones woke up to the hype.
Rant over,, Phil.

I honestly overlook most of this now because it seems all major players do this game.  You are right though, it would be interesting to see what this sounds like through a simple Fender Frontman, Marshall MG, Vox Pathfinder etc.  My guess, it'd sound okay.  Which is basically what I thought during the video, it sounds good, but not anything that blew me away.  Everyone has their thing though, maybe this is it for some?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com