Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:00:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Insert spring reverb...

Started by mladenu, February 18, 2016, 05:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mladenu

Hello good people. Me again with my pathfinder voxy! :) After all rumble with my ear and brain wracking, i found that factory set up of mentioned "monster" is all i need.. But what about reverb, and spring one of course??? :) Not to mention that i draw pcb layout of Phat Verb, but... Stand alone unit which is greater than amp? Forget, unfortunately... Idea is to insert spring reverb section of session rockette 30, but with preserving that sound... Many things make me confucing:
First.. This one ic spring reverb (tl072), is the best sounding reverb i`ve heard... I have read Rod Elliot article, and because of that i amazed how Stewart Ward achieve that.. Strong way driving 190ohm impedance tank with single (ok, dual) op amp ..

Because of that my plan is to add that reverb drive and recovery to my pathfinder... Is it possible and where would be insert point... After tone stack or master volume or.. ? And which modification i must plan? Suspect on gain values...

Thanks in advance!

Schematic and sound:

phatt

Sadly the Rockette reverb circuit might only work with that particular tank. :-X

Shoe horning the Rockette reverb circuit into the pathfinder (and driving a different tank)
is likely not going to reap the same result. xP
To test; Break the pathfinder circuit before C14 and test some of ESP ideas out.

The session Reverb sound is only because of the mix setup,,, To my ears there is a severe lack of bottom end in the mixed signal. Which limits the versatility of the amp,, unless you only want surf music.

But if that is what you want then ESP circuit mix can easy be altered.
My TransVerb circuit is over the top just like your Rockette BUT retains the bottom end which makes for a fuller sound.
Phil.

mladenu

Kindly thanks for your answer Phil!  :)
Yes, i know, that particular tank is Accutronics 8bc2c1c or 8bc2c1f...
Agree with you, very trebly reverb... :)
My plan is to put reverb circuit in pathfinder chassis and use existing power supply from it .. And plan to mix in reverb .. if you have the time and willingness to help me to mix in your Tverb, that would be best option obviously, because how not to like better versatility? :D.. Or if would be easy and better way to add reverb in chain (like fx loop).. When i write better way, i meant without tone degradation...

phatt

Then just break the signal path in front of C14 and insert the Tverb. :tu:

The reverb circuit will not effect the original tone/sound as the dry sound continues unaltered. The reverb is just a side chain circuit and is mixed back with the dry signal. Reverb is a parallel effect not a series effect.

While you are inside the pathfinder you may wish to add a series FX loop while you have it apart.

I strongly advise you to take the time and breadboard the whole idea before you commit to alterations. Short cuts are always the longest path to success.
I'm speaking from a fair bit of experience.   8|

Phil.