Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 12:18:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey 400BH - CR13 Diode or Jumper

Started by tonight, we ride, January 27, 2014, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonight, we ride

I've run into an interesting problem on a Peavey 400BH. A friend brought it to me claiming that it immediately blows fuses after being turned on.

While checking out the power section I noticed that where CR13 (one of Peavey's 13886 diodes) should be there appeared to be a jumper. I did a diode check on it, and it registered 1.14 volts, which seems like an appropriate voltage for what the 13886's are supposed to be (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that they are two custom power diodes in series).

However, since CR13 is in parallel with the collecter and emitter formed by the darlington pair of Q3 and Q4, Q5, & Q6 in parallel couldn't that 1.14 V drop simply be from those transistors?

I'm not about to power this thing up with an apparent short across the power transistors, and am planning on contacting Peavey for a couple of 13886 diodes, but I'm hoping someone could shed some light on why this would have happened. Is it somehow part of a larger power supply fix that I am not seeing, or is this another case of people doing crazy things to amps??

Schematic and picture of jumper attached.

*Edited to note that I already know that the diode next to the jumper with the big crack in it is bad (CR11)!

tonight, we ride

Mark this as solved.

Peavey forum to the rescue:http://forums.peavey.com:8080/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23639

Removing Cr13 increases crossover distortion. Boom.

Roly

CR13 is a double diode that sets the bias point with temperature compensation.

If you open these you total the output stage.   :-[

If you short these you get much more stable high temp operation, at the expense of greatly increased crossover distortion.  :-\  There are a few ways to improve this temp comp v distortion situation.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Enzo

And that is not a jumper.  In fact in your photo you can see the body of the diode in the hole on the heatsink.  The diode is mounted vertically in the hole with the lead curving back down to the board.