Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:32:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

power transformer raven rg 100

Started by bvh123, October 14, 2009, 09:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

Transformers like this won;t be in Mouser so much, but i bet you can find a pretty similar existing amp in one of the large lines like Peavey or Fender or Crate, and use the power transformer from that.

bvh123

thanks for all the help on this,I decided to take the transformer apart and check the fuse. the fuse was bad. It looked more like a cheap diode or something.but I wired it back up and turned up slowly with a variac. I checked voltages and and everything seemed to be alright.So i played through the amp for about an hour and it seemed to work well. I guess it might have been a bad fuse,but I'm going to keep checking it for a while. because most of the time a fuse blowing mess means  something else is messed up,but maybe I'll be lucky. thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it very much.

J M Fahey

Great news !!
In fact, I wrote a post for you suggesting to take a box-cutter and carefully slit the insulating transformer paper , layer by layer, until you found it (it should cause a "bump" in the paper), but decided against sending it, for safety and liability issues.
But you did it on your own and were lucky, good!
It was a plain fuse, so it could be anywhere,it happened to be close to the surface; if it had been a true thermal one, the best place would be *between* the primary and secondary windings, fully surrounded by copper, completely inaccessible.
Enjoy your amp, you deserve it.

Enzo

I find that the thermal fuses are indeed packed between windings, but they are also accessible if you dig through the paper.  Those silver diode looking things are thermal fuses, not common fuses.  You can wire past them and take your chances with safety.  You can buy new thermal fuses from a variety of suppliers like Mouser or MCM.  Look for Thermal Cutoff.

They are tucked in the edge of the windings rather than square in the middle.

joecool85

Good to hear you got it all worked out, another win for the DIYer!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com