Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

I need help. I can't replicate MY OWN guitar sound.....

Started by SonexReducer, June 23, 2013, 08:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonexReducer

I did all these demos where my guitar just sounds amazing (in context for what I'm doing) and how did I achieve this?  Purely by accident.  I just plugged my guitar directly into my computer and recorded it in the red.  Now, I did add compression to it and a little EQ but that's it.

So I went out and got a 1978 peavey series 260H thinking it would sound similar, being that it draws it's gain from turning up the input sensitivity, but while I love it and it sounds great, the sound just ain't the same.

I am not using a compressor with it, would that help?  All I know is tube amps.  I don't wanna go there.  Theres gotta be something like just using a power amp or a processor or something that will sound rude and nasty and kind of "honky" like in my demos, any suggestions?  heres a sample https://soundcloud.com/chord-caveman/the-golden-age-of-planned-2

PS:  WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO IS REPLICATE THIS TONE IN A LIVE SETTING.  I WASN'T CLEAR ABOUT THAT.

DrGonz78

Well how well will that original track mix with a drum track or bass line? Where is the objective other track with the new sound(peavey amp)? Personally, it is all merely subjective tone. I mean seriously what do you have over-driving the guitar? Just USB interface into some sound card? What sound card are you using? What bit depth? Sample rate? Direct in with solid state technology is really a nice sound to a certain degree, but hence you must understand that in comparison to tube amp sounds. Tube amp distortion or overloading into a square wave is nice with a touch of compression and EQ too. Really what is your question here today? Square wave all the way or what overdrive, fuzz or metal distortion pedal would be best on your front end? I am at a loss to advise you on your own tone for a guitar part really.

I know that you like the sound of the original guitar... But what is all this lower level signal? Send me the file and I will add some Noise Reduction plugins. I will make your original guitar part come out more and have less noise when you are not strumming. That is if you drop the guitar track by 6db to give a reasonable amount of headroom. It is all just a demo I know but your tone has been found. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

It seems to me that you like this original approach to creating demo's... So just keep doing that if you like it... Still when you are done with the demo's what sort of recording plan do you have in mind. I can think of ideas where you could go but at least let me download your track and mess with it a bit for fun. Please if you do send a copy of that guitar turn it down 3-6db for some feasible headroom.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

J M Fahey

Quote from: SonexReducer on June 23, 2013, 08:14:03 AM
I did all these demos where my guitar just sounds amazing (in context for what I'm doing) and how did I achieve this? Purely by accident.
"Accidents", by definition, can't be replicated.
Even less if you try to replicate them by other means. ???

QuoteI just plugged my guitar directly into my computer and recorded it in the red.  Now, I did add compression to it and a little EQ but that's it.
Ok, then repeat it, ysing your PC as a processor, and send its line out to an amp.
Basically what all digital pedals do.
QuoteSo I went out and got a 1978 peavey series 260H thinking it would sound similar,
Why should it at all?
Different preamp/EQ/gain/method of clipping/etc. , plus you listen to that distortion through a Guitar speaker which is not present in the original, direct-to-PC one .

Quotebeing that it draws it's gain from turning up the input sensitivity, but while I love it and it sounds great, the sound just ain't the same.
Of course they are not the same.

QuotePS:  WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO IS REPLICATE THIS TONE IN A LIVE SETTING.  I WASN'T CLEAR ABOUT THAT.
Oh yes, you were clear  :cheesy:

That said, build a little Ruby, drive it to death, play it through a 10" guitar speaker (or a *light/cheap* 12" ) and you will be reasonably close.
If you want, add a clean gain boost pedal (build an MXR Microamp) and you'll be even closer.

Roly

The sample seems to have a lot of bottom end in it (and it sure is compressed dead flat).  Sounds to be like you need something (in the front end) that is being driven witless, and with a heavy bass tilt.  Just a thort - try some really crappy powered computer speakers as your amp, tone on the guitar to full bass.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

SonexReducer

Thanks Roly,

What I'm trying to do is replicate this in a live band setting.  But I hear you about the bass and compression.  I've hopefully got a ibanez cp-10 coming down the line in a trade, and a nice, raspy, danelectro daddy o that may get me closer.