Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

My Lead 12 Pre Clone Squeals at High Gain

Started by exztinct01, December 10, 2016, 01:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exztinct01

Is this natural? or can I do something to remove it? Squeal starts at about 90% rotation I think
I used 5k, 3 x 20k, 1M all linear as of now. I added a switch to choose between 100pF or 220pF for C5.
Here's the layout I made but there were some slight changes in the actual build

Here's the build ;) And I'm hoping being unshielded's not the reason for the squeal.

Maybe the layout's the main problem?
Anyway, those red colored pads indicate tracks cut. It was some kind of stripboard something but tracks are customized by the store I bought it from
~ Stephen

phatt

Now you know that with no shielding you will have problems.
Better go find a steel box 8|

Phil

exztinct01

Quote from: phatt on December 10, 2016, 02:55:41 AM
Now you know that with no shielding you will have problems.
Better go find a steel box 8|

Phil
I don't have a budget for a good box yet but I hope something like this is enough  xP

The one in the bottom of the picture, used in making sliding windows and doors, etc
~ Stephen

Enzo

You can put it in an empty can of corn even.  I have some two and three pound cans of peanuts with paint can lids I intend to build small amps in.  Plenty of guys have used Altoids Mints tins for projects.  You don't have to BUy something, but you do want the circuit enclosed - as in all around.   But even buying, you know those tins of Xmas cookies?  They make similar tins, but much smaller, I find them at the local store - like Wal Mart or K MArt.  Or the hobby/craft store.  They are cheap, and come in all sizes from smaller than a golf ball to bigger than a -phone book.  Google "decorative tins" for examples of what I mean.  I think a tin the size of a Tube Screamer ought to cost 79 cents to a dollar.  I bet the dollar store even has some with Xmas pictures on them.

Loudthud

I don't see any bypass capacitors on the layout. I would suggest 100uF or 220uF on each rail to ground.