Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Is That Any Way To Make A Power Output More Higer?

Started by Agung Kurniawan, December 09, 2016, 08:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agung Kurniawan

Hi everyone...

this is my first post on this forum :D

I just broke my power amp last week (cause of my foul). the power is big but the sound was crap for me. and then I trying to bread board the Marshall MG-30DFX power amp section.

it sounds best, kind of a 'flat' freq response. because it give me the same sound like my preamp output. (by the way Im using my own design preamp)
but the power is to weak, I thing it should be 30W come from my speaker (Im using 250W 8ohm speaker)
please help me guys, is that any way to make the power output more higer?

for the power supply Im have bipoar +/-25V with 3A CT transformer.

J M Fahey

I understand you made a power amp, similar to Marshall MG30 DFX .
If so, it is a TDA2050 based amplifier.

You are already using the maximum supply voltage possible, in fact are somewhat beyond it, standard recommended power supply is +/- 22v.
You will get some 25W RMS into an 8ohms load, with such high voltage do NOT load it with 4 ohms, guaranteed destruction.

The amp is fine, and enough for a rehearsal or small club, and that if your drummer is not *too*  loud.

So far so god, but I strongly suspect your speaker.

You need a *guitar*  speaker, that kind is loud, efficient, and has a strong peak in high mids (between 2500 and 4000 Hz) which makes guitar sound bright and piercing, and helps it cut through noise .

By the 250W rating I suspect you have a Home Hi Fi woofer, or worse a DJ speaker or much much worse: a *Car*  speaker or a subwoofer for a home theater system.

All these are inefficient, require a lot of power to be driven, and are muddy, that´s why it does not sound loud at all with a guitar.

Please state what Country do you live in, we might offer some speaker suggestion.

Agung Kurniawan

Quote from: J M Fahey on December 09, 2016, 09:19:39 PM
The amp is fine, and enough for a rehearsal or small club, and that if your drummer is not*too*  loud.

yep, its loud enough to make my neighbor angry but it small for giging purpose. I need about 50W to 120W.

Quote from: J M Fahey on December 09, 2016, 09:19:39 PM
So far so god, but I strongly suspect your speaker.

By the 250W rating I suspect you have a Home Hi Fi woofer, or worse a DJ speaker or much much worse: a *Car*  speaker or a subwoofer for a home theater system.

All these are inefficient, require a lot of power to be driven, and are muddy, that´s why it does not sound loud at all with a guitar.
yep, its a sub-woofer, I thing its 12 inch. the brand was Canon. im using sub-woofer to get the tight sound and bass-rich.

when I using the MG-30, The sound is tottaly perfect. I like it. but the power is weak that wasnt enough for giging purpose.
I just wanna make the power to be bigger

Quote from: J M Fahey on December 09, 2016, 09:19:39 PMPlease state what Country do you live in, we might offer some speaker suggestion.
I live in Indonesia

phatt

Well if sub woofers worked so well then WHY don't bass amps use those subwoofers? :o 
Because they are crap.  :duh

As Mr Fahey just noted, it takes massive power to drive them AND they need a special box to work because they are so inefficient so Not used for MI speakers. :trouble

J M Fahey is an amp manufacturer and he makes his own speakers,,, so a fair chance he knows what He is talking about. :dbtu: :dbtu: :dbtu:
Phil

Enzo

Power is logarithmic.  50 watts is only 3 decibels louder than 25, and 100 watts is only 6 decibels louder.   6 decibels is the difference between the high and low gain input jacks on many Fender amps.  That is not a lot.

You want more sound?  Getting a speaker that is 3 decibels more efficient will get you the exact SAME loudness increase as doubling your power.  For free.  Your subwoofer speaker is a poor choice for guitar.

Connect your amp to an 8 ohm 4x12" cabinet for an awakening.

J M Fahey

Quote from: Enzo on December 10, 2016, 03:56:06 AM
Your subwoofer speaker is a poor choice for guitar.

Connect your amp to an 8 ohm 4x12" cabinet for an awakening.
Fully agree of course, and *this*  is what Enzo means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDohmkXeJs
these funny guys test an Orange Micro Terror 20W SS head , first with its original 8" speaker, about what your Marshall 30W amp does.
And it sounds *good*, as expected.

THEN they plug it into a 4x12" cabinet  :o