Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:38:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Power wiring for amp + preamp modules

Started by tra, December 07, 2010, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tra

I'm showing my noob here, but what is the best way to wire up power for the power amp circuit plus a lower voltage "tap" (excuse my use of the word) for the preamp modules.

-Wire a 9v regulator in parallel with the power amp using the DC coming from the rectifier?

-Wire a 9v PSU in parallel with the rectifier using the AC coming out of the transformer?

-Wire a separate transformer in parallel to the other transformer using the AC from the inlet?

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, and your help is greatly appreciated.

J M Fahey

It's easy and cheap to go *down* in voltage,  so you can get, say, 9V for a preamp from any higher voltage, from +12 to +60V.
Your 24VAC transformer will give you around 32V rectified.

A 470 ohms 2W resistor and a 500mW 9V Zener will provide you with 9V, up to 50mA to feed a lot of preamps.
+Vs is your rectified +32V.
Definitely simpler/cheaper than building an entire separate power supplu for the preamp.
You should wire a 1000uF x16V (or more) electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the Zener.
Pay attention to its polarity.

tra