Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:29:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

FM212r burnt resistor/distortion on clean channel

Started by sd22, March 27, 2024, 09:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd22

I have a Fender 212r that isnt worth much, but I am trying to repair as a hobby. I am looking to get into projects after taking some previous circuits classes but I'm stumped. The amp works, but through the clean channel I have some background distortion. The distortion channels have separate tone and are fine/unnoticeable. The speakers seem to be fine too. This amp is usually pretty clean but doesn't have that same sound anymore.

I took it apart and found that R84 was on its way out, 470ohm resistor burning and increased in resistance to upper 500ohms. The increased resistance could be forcing more power into other portions causing that breakup but that might be completely wrong. I tried checking some of the transistors and diodes around to see if there was an issue surrounding that, but I didn't find anything conclusive. I'm hoping to get some advise on some places to double check for a source for the excess power flow since a bad resistor likely is due to something else going wrong. I plan to replace the resistor obviously along with any shorted transistors or whatever else I find.

Line diagram linked
https://pub.deadnet.se/Manuals/ciasteczkowypotwor/%23pro_audio/Inne/frontman_212r_sch.pdf